all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Want to rebind C-i
@ 2002-10-14 12:19 ` Edric M Ellis
From: Edric M Ellis @ 2002-10-14 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris H. wrote:
> I have
>
> (global-unset-key "\C-i")
> (global-unset-key [tab])
> (global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)
>
> and
>
> ;--- Ispell ---
> (global-set-key "\C-ii" 'ispell)
> (global-set-key "\C-iw" 'ispell-word)
> (global-set-key "\C-id" 'ispell-change-dictionary)
>
> in my .emacs.
>
> This worked in Emacs 20.7, but it doesn't in Emacs 21.1; C-i is
> always recognized as TAB. What to do?

I think you need to make a keymap for TAB, like this:

(global-unset-key [tab])
(setq tab-keymap (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key global-map [tab] tab-keymap)
(define-key tab-keymap (kbd "i") 'ispell)

Cheers,

Edric.

--
Edric M Ellis
The MathWorks, Ltd., Matrix House, Cowley Park, Cambridge CB4 0HH, UK

* Re: Want to rebind C-i
@ 2002-10-14 13:38     ` Edric M Ellis
From: Edric M Ellis @ 2002-10-14 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris H. wrote:
> Edric M Ellis wrote:
>> I think you need to make a keymap for TAB, like this:
>>
>> (global-unset-key [tab])
>> (setq tab-keymap (make-sparse-keymap))
>> (define-key global-map [tab] tab-keymap)
>> (define-key tab-keymap (kbd "i") 'ispell)
>
> Hi Edric,
>
> I've just tried this and got an error message.

Doh! What was the error message? It worked for me....

> What does the above code do?

It was my understanding that to make a multiple-key binding, you need
to make a keymap first (line 2), bind that to the first key of the
sequence (line 3 - in this case - tab), and then add the other keys of
the binding (line 4). So, to add your other stuff, you'd do more
modified copies of line 4.

> Is there a way to just remove the binding of C-i to TAB?

Hmm. I don't really know where the C-i <--> TAB stuff happens, sorry.

Edric.

--
Edric M Ellis
The MathWorks, Ltd., Matrix House, Cowley Park, Cambridge CB4 0HH, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 423 200    Ext: 218
Fax: +44 (0) 1223 423 255

* Want to rebind C-i
@ 2002-10-15 12:04 Boris H.
From: Boris H. @ 2002-10-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have

(global-unset-key "\C-i")
(global-unset-key [tab])
(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

and

;--- Ispell ---
(global-set-key "\C-ii" 'ispell)
(global-set-key "\C-iw" 'ispell-word)
(global-set-key "\C-id" 'ispell-change-dictionary)

in my .emacs.

This worked in Emacs 20.7, but it doesn't in Emacs 21.1; C-i is always
recognized as TAB. What to do?

Regards,

Boris

* Re: Want to rebind C-i
@ 2002-10-15 13:20   ` Boris H.
From: Boris H. @ 2002-10-15 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edric M Ellis wrote:
> I think you need to make a keymap for TAB, like this:
>
> (global-unset-key [tab])
> (setq tab-keymap (make-sparse-keymap))
> (define-key global-map [tab] tab-keymap)
> (define-key tab-keymap (kbd "i") 'ispell)

Hi Edric,

I've just tried this and got an error message.

What does the above code do? Is there a way to just remove the binding of
C-i to TAB?

Regards,

Boris

* Re: Want to rebind C-i
@ 2002-10-17 16:59     ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2002-10-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

(keyboard-translate ?\C-i ?\H-i)
(keyboard-translate ?\C-m ?\H-m)
(global-set-key [?\H-i] 'insert-file)
(global-set-key [?\H-m] 'start-or-end-macro-def)

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:20:07PM +0200, Boris H. wrote:
> Edric M Ellis wrote:
> > I think you need to make a keymap for TAB, like this:
> >
> > (global-unset-key [tab])
> > (setq tab-keymap (make-sparse-keymap))
> > (define-key global-map [tab] tab-keymap)
> > (define-key tab-keymap (kbd "i") 'ispell)
>
> Hi Edric,
>
> I've just tried this and got an error message.
>
> What does the above code do? Is there a way to just remove the binding of
> C-i to TAB?
>
> Regards,
>
> Boris

_______________________________________