all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Cc: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: A list of bugs
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:42:40 -0600 (MDT)	[thread overview]

    Calling expand-file-name with default-directory set to nil, such as in

       (let ((default-directory nil))
	  (expand-file-name "foo"))

    makes Emacs crash without a word.

This has been fixed for the next release.

    Start Emacs (21.2 or 20.7) under MS Windows and try to close MS Windows.
    Then you get an error message saying that MS Windows cannot shut down
    Emacs. I suspect that Emacs does not handle the WM_QUERYENDSESSION (0x0011)

Only a Windows developer could handle this.  Would you like to
implement it?

    Font lock in emacs-lisp-mode gets very confused when a multi line text string
    (such as a doc string) have a line starting with 'with' or '(' (no quotes).

You should put a \ before the (; that is an Emacs convention.
I am surprised to hear this about `with', though; can you send a precise
self-contained test case for that?

    When running under MS Windows, the title bar of Emacs frames often flicker.
    I seems they are redrawn unnecessarily. This problem is introduced with Emacs 21,
    it is not there with Emacs 20.

Can any Windows user figure out the cause of this bug?

    I have reported this bug before -- however at that time I suspected the error
    to be MS Windows specific. Now I have seen it on a Linux system as well.

It's not a Linux system; it's the GNU system, with Linux as the
kernel.  (See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for more
explanation.)  Would you please help us out by calling the system
"GNU/Linux", and giving us equal mention?  We need this help very
much.

    When I scroll a window by holding down the the down-arrow button,
    the scrolling motion have anoying jumps now and then. What happes
    is, obviously, that the window gets recentered.

This is normal behavior.  That command is a cursor-motion command, not
a scroll command.  When you move point off the screen, it gets recentered.

       (setq scroll-conservatively 1000)

Hmm, if you set scroll-conservatively in this way, it ought to scroll
more smoothly.

I did not see the window get recentered, but I did see the cursor
sometimes appear on the bottom screen line.  Would anyone like to
try debugging that?