all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-06-20  2:01 Matt Muggeridge
From: Matt Muggeridge @ 2002-06-20  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Environment: emacs on Tru64 UNIX V5.1 and Digital OSF1 V4.0, connecting to
my PC X-Server (Xcursion) across a wide-area cable connection.

When attempting to start emacs, I see:

    Emacs   WAN Result          LAN Result
   -------   -----------------   -----------------
    20.7      always succeeds    always succeeds
    21.1      mostly succeeds     always succeeds
    21.2      rarely succeeds      always succeeds

When it fails, the message displayed is:

 emacs: Cannot connect to X server xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0.
 Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
 Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
 connections from your machine.

It seems to be independent of the OS, as I see the same result on Tru64 UNIX
V5.1 and Digital OSF1 V4.0.  It also seems to be independent of my PC, as
I've tried it on one running Windows/ME and another running W2K.

All other X-applications I have tried succeed, even when emacs fails
repeatedly.  E.g. I can successfully run "xeyes", "xterm", "xclock",
"emacs-20.7".  This problem is limited to the versions of emacs above.

I do not understand how emacs connects to the X server, but I am suspicious
of timeouts.  Could it be that emacs does not wait long enough to establish
an X-session over a slow link?

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt.

* Re: Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-06-21  9:41 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-21  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    I do not understand how emacs connects to the X server, but I am suspicious
    of timeouts.  Could it be that emacs does not wait long enough to establish
    an X-session over a slow link?

It IS possible, because Emacs (on some systems) gets alarm signals
regularly to "poll for input".  Perhaps the signal causes a problem
of not "waiting" enough.  (I'd say that is a bug in Xlib if it happens.)

Could you see if this patch makes the problem go away?
It may not be something we really want to install, though.

*** xterm.c.~1.736.~	Thu Jun 13 18:28:04 2002
--- xterm.c	Thu Jun 20 19:17:47 2002
***************
*** 14657,14666 ****
--- 14657,14668 ----
  	argv[argc++] = "-xrm";
  	argv[argc++] = xrm_option;
        }
+     stop_polling ();
      dpy = XtOpenDisplay (Xt_app_con, XSTRING (display_name)->data,
  			 resource_name, EMACS_CLASS,
  			 emacs_options, XtNumber (emacs_options),
  			 &argc, argv);
+     start_polling ();

  #ifdef HAVE_X11XTR6
      /* I think this is to compensate for XtSetLanguageProc.  */

* RE: Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-07-01 21:24 Matt Muggeridge
From: Matt Muggeridge @ 2002-07-01 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Richard,

Sorry for the delay, I'm just back from vacation.

Just to let you know where I am up to with this.

I tested your suggested modifications and it worked as hoped.  However,
before I can claim conclusively that this solved the problem, I wanted to
reproduce the problem I was having with the distribution emacs.  As of this
morning, I have only been able to reproduce the original problem once.
Subsequent attempts did not show the problem.

I'll continue testing this and keep you informed.

Matt.

@ 2002-07-02  0:17 Matt Muggeridge
From: Matt Muggeridge @ 2002-07-02  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

OK, I have been able to test your code changes and have more confidently
demonstrated that it does address the timing problem.  (See test procedure
below for details).

I also learnt that starting emacs in the background (by invoking 'emacs&')
would most regularly cause the timing problem, whereas starting emacs in the
foreground (by invoking 'emacs') would rarely cause the timing problem.  Out
of habit, I start emacs in the background.

In conclusion, your proposed code changes do in fact address the problem.

You mentioned that this is likely to be a bug in Xlib, and not emacs.  In
any case, will this code change be adopted in your emacs source pool, or
will I need to pursue this with the Xlib maintainers?

TEST PROCEDURE
--------------
Using the original distribution, repeatedly (around 5 times) I issued:

	# emacs&
	[1] 482828

Each time I observed the error:

	emacs: Cannot connect to X server 16.176.233.71:0.0.
	Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
	Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
	connections from your machine.

After rebuilding emacs with your modifications, I issued:

	# ./emacs-21.2/src/emacs &
	[1] 482871

It succeeded everytime.

I repeated this sequence of tests several times with the same results.

NOTE: the timing issue is exacerbated by starting emacs in the background.
When starting in the foreground the timing problem only occurs some of the
time.

Regards,
Matt.

@ 2002-07-02 19:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt.Muggeridge, Matt.Muggeridge, bug-gnu-emacs

    In conclusion, your proposed code changes do in fact address the problem.

    You mentioned that this is likely to be a bug in Xlib, and not emacs.  In
    any case, will this code change be adopted in your emacs source pool, or
    will I need to pursue this with the Xlib maintainers?

I am not sure.  It would be easy to install this change; the question is,
does it do any harm?

I see that there is already a BLOCLK_INPUT around that code, which
probably means it was impossible to quit out of there before.
I think it follows that this code cannot do any harm.  So I will install it.

* RE: Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-07-08  1:32 Matt Muggeridge
From: Matt Muggeridge @ 2002-07-08  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org', 'Matt.Muggeridge@hp.com'

Hi,

Today when I was firing up the patched emacs, I saw the problem once again.
So it seems that your fixes do not entirely address the problem, but
whatever timing window causes the problem, it is much smaller with your
patch.

In summary, I can now say that the problem is much less likely to occur, but
it still exists.  Is there any other data you would like me to gather?

Thanks,
Matt.

@ 2002-07-08 18:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-08 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Matt.Muggeridge

    In summary, I can now say that the problem is much less likely to occur, but
    it still exists.  Is there any other data you would like me to gather?

Can you try running under GDB and arranging (perhaps with some conditional
commands attached to various breakpoints) to detect if any signal comes
in during that X library call?

When I see what signal it is, I might learn something.

Still, it seems quite strange that there would be a problem
just because a signal interrupts that library routine.
Maybe it is a bug in that library routine.  Maybe it fails to
continue properly after an interrupted `read'.

* RE: Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-08-16  4:46 Matt Muggeridge
From: Matt Muggeridge @ 2002-08-16  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Matt.Muggeridge

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry it has been such a long time since I responded.  I've been limping
along with the current way emacs is working on my systems and don't have the
skill set to do what you have asked here.  It has been a long time since I
debugged anything on a UNIX system.

I wonder if you can provide me with modified sources to help identify the
cause of this?  Otherwise, if you are willing to send me instructions on how
to do what you are asking I'll try that out too.

Thanks,
Matt.

@ 2002-08-17  4:51 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-17  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt.Muggeridge, bug-gnu-emacs, Matt.Muggeridge

    I wonder if you can provide me with modified sources to help identify the
    cause of this?  Otherwise, if you are willing to send me instructions on how
    to do what you are asking I'll try that out too.

Sorry, I can't even try.  I am not an expert on X or on the system you
are using.  Only a person who is an expert on them can debug this
efficiently.

The method you have in mind would also be very inefficient for my
time, and since I am working on GNU 10 to 12 hours a day and not fully
keeping up, I can't afford that.  This work has to get done in a way
that doesn't all depend on me.

* RE: Emacs - cannot connect to X server
@ 2002-10-11  5:01 Muggeridge, Matt
From: Muggeridge, Matt @ 2002-10-11  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Muggeridge, Matt