all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* list-directory's current directory different than that it displays
@ 2002-06-19  1:12 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-19  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I still don't get why the (little used, by me at least) list-directory
command doesn't change the current directory of its buffer to the
directory that it is displaying.  I mean what more relevant current
directory do you want for that buffer?

At least then C-x C-d / t m p <return> C-x o C-x d <return>
would get us where we wanted when we realize we typed C-x C-d instead
of C-x d.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: list-directory's current directory different than that it displays
@ 2002-06-19 17:30 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-06-19 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> I still don't get why the (little used, by me at least) list-directory
> command doesn't change the current directory of its buffer to the
> directory that it is displaying.  I mean what more relevant current
> directory do you want for that buffer?

This has been in list-directory since at least 19.34:

     (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Directory*"
       (buffer-disable-undo standard-output)
       (princ "Directory ")
       (princ dirname)
       (terpri)
       (save-excursion
	(set-buffer "*Directory*")
	(setq default-directory
	      (if (file-directory-p dirname)
		  (file-name-as-directory dirname)
		(file-name-directory dirname)))
	(let ((wildcard (not (file-directory-p dirname))))
	  (insert-directory dirname switches wildcard (not wildcard)))))

> At least then C-x C-d / t m p <return> C-x o C-x d <return>
> would get us where we wanted when we realize we typed C-x C-d instead
> of C-x d.

Works for me.

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>

* Re: list-directory's current directory different than that it displays
@ 2002-06-20 14:35 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I still don't get why the (little used, by me at least) list-directory
    command doesn't change the current directory of its buffer to the
    directory that it is displaying.

In the latest CVS sources, it does.  I changed it in March.