all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Color Setup in Emacs
@ 2002-05-28  0:02 Arne Claassen
From: Arne Claassen @ 2002-05-28  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought it was a bug with the MacOS X build, but noticed the same on
my linux box.

If i use my .emacs file to set up colors like:

(set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
(set-foreground-color "Wheat")

and then open a new window, via C-X 5 2, then the next window comes up
in the app default colors... Under linux, i can permanently set the
colors via .Xdefaults.

So is this a bug that the .emacs preferences don't carry forward, or
where is the proper place to set up colors?

thanks,
arne

* Re: Color Setup in Emacs
@ 2002-05-28  9:08 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-28  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Arne Claassen <emacs@claassen.net> writes:

> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-foreground-color "Wheat")

These are documented to apply to the current frame only.  You can set
the colors of the `default' face (M-x customize-face RET default RET)
or (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "green")).

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: Color Setup in Emacs
@ 2002-05-28 18:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-05-28 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Arne Claassen <emacs@claassen.net>
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 17:02:10 -0700
>
> If i use my .emacs file to set up colors like:
>
> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-foreground-color "Wheat")
>
> and then open a new window, via C-X 5 2, then the next window comes up
> in the app default colors... Under linux, i can permanently set the
> colors via .Xdefaults.
>
> So is this a bug that the .emacs preferences don't carry forward, or
> where is the proper place to set up colors?

It's not a bug: set-foreground-color and set-background-color only
change colors of the current frame.  The other frames get their
colors from default-frame-alist.

* Re: Color Setup in Emacs
@ 2002-05-28 20:23 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    If i use my .emacs file to set up colors like:

    (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
    (set-foreground-color "Wheat")

That is not a bug--these functions apply to one frame only.  You can
set the defaults for all frames using default-frame-alist or by
customizing the `default' font.  That ought to work on any system.

    I thought it was a bug with the MacOS X build, but noticed the same on
    my linux box.

Could you please call the system "GNU/Linux"?  It is basically the GNU
system, and it is more GNU than Linux; when people call it "Linux", we
get none of the credit, and that makes all of our work less effective.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for more explanation.