all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* blink-cursor-mode and active fields
@ 2002-05-06 23:24 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2002-05-06 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-03-19 on steve
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When blink-cursor-mode is disabled, the cursor becomes invisible under
the following circumstances: (i) when the cursor is located on certain
kinds of "active" (i.e. clickable) fields (e.g., those in
customization buffers, in Gnus group buffers, in the recentf "more"
buffer -- but not on active fields in a *Help* buffer) and then the
mouse pointer is moved over the field; (ii) when the cursor is placed
on one of these active fields by a key combination (e.g. `C-x o' where
point in the other window is on the active field) and the mouse
pointer is located on the field; (iii) when the cursor is placed on an
active field by a mouse click on the field.  In all of these
circumstances, the cursor can be made visible again either (a) by
moving the mouse pointer off the frame (not just the window) in
question to another (not necessarily Emacs) frame on the desktop: then
the cursor is visible in outline -- moving the mouse pointer back to
the window containing the cursor in question then makes it fully
visible; or (b) by moving the mouse pointer over another active field
in the same window and waiting until a tooltip pops up.

Recent input:
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <f11> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
M-x <up> <return>

Recent messages:
call-interactively: Quit
The mark is not set now
Mark set
Making completion list...
Mark set [3 times]
Auto-saving...
Making completion list...

* Re: blink-cursor-mode and active fields
@ 2002-05-14 19:42 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When blink-cursor-mode is disabled, the cursor becomes invisible under
    the following circumstances: (i) when the cursor is located on certain
    kinds of "active" (i.e. clickable) fields (e.g., those in
    customization buffers, in Gnus group buffers, in the recentf "more"
    buffer -- but not on active fields in a *Help* buffer) and then the
    mouse pointer is moved over the field; (ii) when the cursor is placed
    on one of these active fields by a key combination (e.g. `C-x o' where
    point in the other window is on the active field) and the mouse
    pointer is located on the field; (iii) when the cursor is placed on an
    active field by a mouse click on the field.

Does this depend on your customizations?  It does not fail for me
using the latest sources in CVS.  Perhaps it is fixed since 21.2.

* Re: blink-cursor-mode and active fields
@ 2002-05-16 13:49   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2002-05-16 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, bug-gnu-emacs

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     When blink-cursor-mode is disabled, the cursor becomes invisible under
>     the following circumstances: (i) when the cursor is located on certain
>     kinds of "active" (i.e. clickable) fields (e.g., those in
>     customization buffers, in Gnus group buffers, in the recentf "more"
>     buffer -- but not on active fields in a *Help* buffer) and then the
>     mouse pointer is moved over the field; (ii) when the cursor is placed
>     on one of these active fields by a key combination (e.g. `C-x o' where
>     point in the other window is on the active field) and the mouse
>     pointer is located on the field; (iii) when the cursor is placed on an
>     active field by a mouse click on the field.
>
> Does this depend on your customizations?  It does not fail for me

No, I get the same behavior when I start Emacs with -q --no-site-file
and then type `M-x blink-cursor-mode'.

> using the latest sources in CVS.  Perhaps it is fixed since 21.2.

If so, then that appears to be the case.  I wonder what the fix is --
I saw only one reference to blinking cursor in the CVS src/ChangeLog
(Revision 1.2484) and it doesn't seem to be relevant.  Could the fix
be due to a more general change?  Has this bug been reported by anyone
else, or can anyone confirm it with Emacs 21.2.1?

From: Stephen Berman @ 2002-05-16 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, bug-gnu-emacs