all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Send Bug Report unable to send bug report
@ 2002-04-03 10:06 Järneström Jonas
From: Järneström Jonas @ 2002-04-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
 of Tue Jan 16 2001 on sunray8.era-a.ericsson.se
configured using `configure  --prefix=/usr/bag/emacs/20.7
--datadir=/usr/bag/emacs/share'

My system recently switched to Solaris 2.8.
This had the effect that mail mode is no longer able to find the
sendmail program, which it expects to find at /usr/sbin/
instead of eg /usr/lib/ where I can see a copy.

A side effect of this is of course that the "Send Bug Report" command
is broken.

Has my unix system been tweaked in a non-standard way or is this an
emacs problem? Besides including above path in my path, is there
anything simpler I could do?

* Re: Send Bug Report unable to send bug report
@ 2002-04-03 16:10 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-04-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Järneström Jonas wrote:

> In GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
>  of Tue Jan 16 2001 on sunray8.era-a.ericsson.se
> configured using `configure  --prefix=/usr/bag/emacs/20.7
> --datadir=/usr/bag/emacs/share'
>
> My system recently switched to Solaris 2.8.
> This had the effect that mail mode is no longer able to find the
> sendmail program, which it expects to find at /usr/sbin/
> instead of eg /usr/lib/ where I can see a copy.
>
> A side effect of this is of course that the "Send Bug Report" command
> is broken.
>
> Has my unix system been tweaked in a non-standard way or is this an
> emacs problem? Besides including above path in my path, is there
> anything simpler I could do?

As far as I know, sendmail has always resided in the /usr/lib directory
on SunOS/Solaris.  But paths.el, which I think is dumped into the emacs
executable, looks for /usr/sbin/sendmail before /usr/lib/sendmail when
setting sendmail-program.  Perhaps your original Solaris installation
had been tweaked when Emacs was built.

In any case: (setq sendmail-program "/usr/lib/sendmail")

You might want to put that in site-start.el instead of ~/.emacs, if there
are other Emacs users on your system.

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>

* Re: Send Bug Report unable to send bug report
@ 2002-04-04  9:06   ` Järneström Jonas
From: Järneström Jonas @ 2002-04-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Rodgers

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> As far as I know, sendmail has always resided in the /usr/lib directory
> on SunOS/Solaris.  But paths.el, which I think is dumped into the emacs
> executable, looks for /usr/sbin/sendmail before /usr/lib/sendmail when
> setting sendmail-program.  Perhaps your original Solaris installation
> had been tweaked when Emacs was built.

Well, my Emacs installation does only seem to look for /usr/sbin, no
other places.
I didnt build it so I dont know any build details.
/Jonas

* Re: Send Bug Report unable to send bug report
@ 2002-04-04 17:36 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Would you like to try the latest Emacs from CVS
and see if the problem still happens?