all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Check for absent 'ar' needed in `configure'
@ 2002-03-28 20:23 Rabbe Fogelholm
From: Rabbe Fogelholm @ 2002-03-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Gnu Emacs 21.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)

Today I had the pleasure of installing Emacs on a recently
configured Solaris 8 machine. Compiling worked almost completely out-of-the-tarball, but I noticed one matter
that could be improved.

Before building emacs I installed GNU Make 3.78.1 and
GCC 2.95.2.

I then went through the `configure' step and proceeded
to `make' (having first made a symlink /usr/local/bin/make
pointing to /usr/local/bin/gmake).

The compilation stopped when `ar' could not be found. The
remedy was to append /usr/ccs/bin to the PATH and re-run.

My suggestion then is that `configure' should check for the
presence of `ar' and catch the problem earlier on if there
is no `ar' in the PATH.

--Rabbe Fogelholm, Stockholm, Sweden, Emacs user since 1981

Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

Powered by Outblaze

* Re: Check for absent 'ar' needed in `configure'
@ 2002-03-29 17:47 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-29 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

ar is one of the programs we take for granted in building and
installation.