all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-20 20:27 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2002-03-20 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
documents in CVS.  Is this by design or should they be removed from
the source tree?

-pmr

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-20 20:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-03-20 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
> documents in CVS.  Is this by design or should they be removed from
> the source tree?

They should ideally be removed but they are currently needed for
bootstrapping (at least loaddefs.el is, I think cus-load.el isn't).

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-20 21:47 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-03-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com> writes:

|> Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
|> documents in CVS.  Is this by design or should they be removed from
|> the source tree?

You cannot bootstrap without loaddefs.el.

Andreas.

SuSE GmbH, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-20 22:45   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2002-03-20 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > Andreas Schwab writes:
 >
 > |> Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
 > |> documents in CVS.  Is this by design or should they be removed from
 > |> the source tree?
 >
 > You cannot bootstrap without loaddefs.el.

Then I suppose we ought to create a file in CVS, say, loaddefs.el.src
(or some such) that gets copied to loaddefs.el at bootstrap time and
then gets populated subsequently.  Then loaddefs.el and cus-load.el
can be removed from CVS.  Any reason we should not do this?

It will eliminate conflicts that get reported by doing `cvs update'
and is probably cleaner.

@ 2002-03-21  1:40     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-03-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

>  > Andreas Schwab writes:
>  >
>  > |> Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
>  > |> documents in CVS.  Is this by design or should they be removed from
>  > |> the source tree?
>  >
>  > You cannot bootstrap without loaddefs.el.
>
> Then I suppose we ought to create a file in CVS, say, loaddefs.el.src
> (or some such) that gets copied to loaddefs.el at bootstrap time and
> then gets populated subsequently.  Then loaddefs.el and cus-load.el
> can be removed from CVS.  Any reason we should not do this?

Because I think it's better to just fix the bootstrapping problem
so that loaddefs.el is simply not needed any more.
I just haven't gotten the time to look into yet, although I know
it's not too difficult since I did get it to work a while back.

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-21  6:03       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-21  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Paul Michael Reilly, schwab, emacs-devel

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Because I think it's better to just fix the bootstrapping problem
> so that loaddefs.el is simply not needed any more.

If this is done, there might be a need for a corresponding change to
make-dist, so that it would DTRT when a release tarball is prepared.
(I didn't try, so I don't know if the current make-dist will or will
not fail, I'm just making a remark for posterity.)

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-22 12:25 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Both of these files get generated at build time but are source
    documents in CVS.

Building Emacs in the usual way does not generate these files.
It assumes they are present.

Please do not change this.  Let's spend our time working on things
that will help users.

* Re: cus-load.el and loaddefs.el
@ 2002-03-22 12:26       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pmr, schwab, emacs-devel

Without loaddefs.el, it would be necessary to scan all the .el files
for autoload cookies in order to build Emacs.  That is likely to make
a considerable slowdown unless the scanning is done with a very
fast C program.  To be reliable, that C program would need to
understand Lisp syntax as well as the Lisp reader does.

I am sure it could be done, but this change would be of no benefit to
users, so couldn't we spend the time doing one of the user-level tasks
in etc/TODO?