all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* abbrev problem
@ 2002-02-10 19:22 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-02-10 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs still modifies ~/.abbrev_defs:

emacs -q --no-site-file --fullscreen
M-x report RET xxx RET
C-x C-c

And answer all questions with "yes".

I think the decision was to provide a special system abbrevs file and
not to change the user's file any longer?

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: abbrev problem
@ 2002-02-10 21:16 ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-02-10 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de>
   Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:22:04 +0100

Hi Karl,

   > Emacs still modifies ~/.abbrev_defs:
   >
   > emacs -q --no-site-file --fullscreen
   > M-x report RET xxx RET
   > C-x C-c
   >
   > And answer all questions with "yes".
   >
   > I think the decision was to provide a special system abbrevs file and
   > not to change the user's file any longer?

unfortunately I can not reproduce this too. After doing that, Emacs asked
me to save the *mail* buffer, but no other questions. What got saved to the
file ~/.abbrev_defs?
--
Pavel Janík

Replace repetitive expressions by calls to a common function.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

* Re: abbrev problem
@ 2002-02-11 18:48 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-11 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Emacs still modifies ~/.abbrev_defs:

    emacs -q --no-site-file --fullscreen
    M-x report RET xxx RET
    C-x C-c

    And answer all questions with "yes".

It does not happen for me.
What exactly are the questions you answer?
Please don't be cryptic about that sort of info.

* Re: abbrev problem
@ 2002-02-11 20:09   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-02-11 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> unfortunately I can not reproduce this too. After doing that, Emacs asked
> me to save the *mail* buffer, but no other questions.

And the next question was whether I want to save ~/.abbrev_defs.

> What got saved to the file ~/.abbrev_defs?

All these system settings like:

(define-abbrev-table 'fortran-mode-abbrev-table '(
    (";b" "byte" nil 0)
    (";im" "implicit" nil 0)
    (";il" "implicit logical" nil 0)
    (";ii" "implicit integer" nil 0)
    (";bd" "block data" nil 0)
    (";ic" "implicit complex" nil 0)

[...]

    ))

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> What exactly are the questions you answer?
> Please don't be cryptic about that sort of info.

Sorry.

Maybe it happened for you because your .abbrev_defs already contains
these settings like the one quoted above?  I'll try to reproduce the
problem the next time.

--

@ 2002-02-13 15:38     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-13 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I think this problem is fixed in the CVS sources but not in the pretest.
The changes were too big to put into the pretest.

* Re: abbrev problem
@ 2002-02-13 18:14       ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-02-13 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I think this problem is fixed in the CVS sources but not in the pretest.
> The changes were too big to put into the pretest.

For your info, I didn't run the current pre-test (21.1.x), but 21.2.50.