all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Alt key in woody
@ 2002-10-09  5:13 Wu XiaoGuang
From: Wu XiaoGuang @ 2002-10-09  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all:
  I just installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 . The GNU Emacs version is
  21.2 .
  I couldn't use Alt key normally. Although I could use it it in
  terminal (emacs -nw), it's a little unsuitable.
  I tried to put
,----
| xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" &
`----
  in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession , but after I do this, I can't startx
  later.

  Thank you.

* Re: Alt key in woody
@ 2002-10-09  6:52 ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-09  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

woohsiaokuang@yahoo.com.cn (Wu XiaoGuang) writes:

>Hi, all:
>  I just installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 . The GNU Emacs version is
>  21.2 .
>  I couldn't use Alt key normally. Although I could use it it in
>  terminal (emacs -nw), it's a little unsuitable.
>  I tried to put
>,----
>| xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" &
>`----
>  in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession , but after I do this, I can't startx
>  later.
>
>  Thank you.

I put only the Meta keysym on the Alt key, since Meta and Alt are
synonymous.

keysym Alt_L = Meta_L
keysym Alt_R = Meta_R

And then you have to check that all Meta keys are mapped to the mod1
Modifier.

; xmodmap -pm
xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d),  Control_L (0x73),  Control_R (0x74)
mod1        Meta_L (0x40),  Meta_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Control_L (0x73)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

Or you could just use the pc101 keyboard layout in X. Then there will be
no Meta mapping on the Windows key, so the Alt key will be Meta.

Your fix should work by itself, so it seems that your problem is
to get the rest of the .xinitrc to work. Oh, and lose the & on the
xmodmap line.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

* Re: Alt key in woody
@ 2002-10-10  4:02   ` Wu XiaoGuang
From: Wu XiaoGuang @ 2002-10-10  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09 Oct 2002 08:52:13 +0200, Fredrik Staxeng wrote:

> woohsiaokuang@yahoo.com.cn (Wu XiaoGuang) writes:
>> Hi, all: I just installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 . The GNU Emacs
>> version is 21.2 .  I couldn't use Alt key normally. Although I
>> could use it it in terminal (emacs -nw), it's a little unsuitable.
>> I tried to put ,---- | xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" &
>> `---- in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession , but after I do this, I can't
>> startx later.
>>
>> Thank you.

> I put only the Meta keysym on the Alt key, since Meta and Alt are
> synonymous.

> keysym Alt_L = Meta_L keysym Alt_R = Meta_R

> And then you have to check that all Meta keys are mapped to the mod1
> Modifier.

> ; xmodmap -pm xmodmap: up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in
> parentheses):

> shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e) lock Caps_Lock (0x42) control
> Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d), Control_L (0x73), Control_R
> (0x74) mod1 Meta_L (0x40), Meta_R (0x71) mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d) mod3
> mod4 Control_L (0x73) mod5 Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

> Or you could just use the pc101 keyboard layout in X. Then there
> will be no Meta mapping on the Windows key, so the Alt key will be
> Meta.

> Your fix should work by itself, so it seems that your problem is to
> get the rest of the .xinitrc to work. Oh, and lose the & on the
> xmodmap line.

> -- Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

Maybe it's the fault of myself.
Now my ~/.xinitrc contains:

,----
|     xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" &
|
|     # start icewm, and run xterm if it crashes (just to be safe)
|     exec icewm || exec xterm -fg red
`----

It works now.
(I guess it only need a Window Manager, :-))

http://faith.yahoo.com

* Re: Alt key in woody
@ 2002-10-12  6:41     ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-12  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wu XiaoGuang <xgwu@linux.net.cn> writes:

>Maybe it's the fault of myself.

Well, no. This is seriously underdocumented, so trial and error is the only
way to learn.

>Now my ~/.xinitrc contains:
>
>,----
>|     xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" &
                                                ^
You don't need that. It doesn't hurt (much), but things like xmodmap
and xrdb is best run synchronously in the foreground. On things
like xclock and xbiff you need it of course.

>|     # start icewm, and run xterm if it crashes (just to be safe)
>|     exec icewm || exec xterm -fg red

That is a good one.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr