all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cygwin/emacs remaps C-h
@ 2002-10-15  1:50 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2002-10-15  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have begun running the cygwinized emacs

GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2002-10-14

that is setup.exe-able from cygwin 1.3.13-1. It was very easy to
setup, but it has its quirks. One is that C-h is mapped to DEL in
both X and -nox. Is there any way to restore it to its normal
help-command role (without also screwing up Backspace and
Delete)? I.e. make C-h, Backspace, and Delete works in Cygwin the
way they do in "normal" NT emacs.

* Re: cygwin/emacs remaps C-h
@ 2002-10-15  6:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-15  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin, help-gnu-emacs, help-emacs-windows

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Roche wrote:

> C-h is mapped to DEL in
> both X and -nox. Is there any way to restore it to its normal
> help-command role (without also screwing up Backspace and
> Delete)? I.e. make C-h, Backspace, and Delete works in Cygwin the
> way they do in "normal" NT emacs.

Does the function normal-erase-is-backspace-mode help?

* Re: cygwin/emacs remaps C-h
       [not found] <mailman.1034646745.12169.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-15 10:30 ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-15 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

>I have begun running the cygwinized emacs
>
>GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2002-10-14
>
>that is setup.exe-able from cygwin 1.3.13-1. It was very easy to
>setup, but it has its quirks. One is that C-h is mapped to DEL in
>both X and -nox. Is there any way to restore it to its normal
>help-command role (without also screwing up Backspace and
>Delete)? I.e. make C-h, Backspace, and Delete works in Cygwin the
>way they do in "normal" NT emacs.

The backspace key should send ^? to the application running in cygwin
window. Complain to the cygwin people, they ought to know better.
Ask for xterm as the emulation while you at it, not yet another
stupid emulator specific type.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

* Re: cygwin/emacs remaps C-h
@ 2002-10-15 16:30 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2002-10-15 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Roche wrote:
 >> C-h is mapped to DEL in both X and -nox.

So as a result I see (out-of-the-box)

* Backspace removes character to left of mark

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h removes character to left of mark

 >> Is there any way to restore it to its normal help-command role
 >> (without also screwing up Backspace and Delete)? I.e. make C-h,
 >> Backspace, and Delete works in Cygwin the way they do in "normal"
 >> NT emacs.

which is:

* Backspace removes character to left of mark

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h prefixes help commands

Eli Zaretskii Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:19:00 +0200
 > Does the function normal-erase-is-backspace-mode help?

Well, with that

* Backspace prefixes help commands

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h prefixes help commands

So I'm still only 2/3rds of the way there. How to make Backspace
remove the character left of mark?

Fredrik Staxeng 15 Oct 2002 12:30:13 +0200
 > The backspace key should send ^? to the application running in
 > cygwin window. Complain to the cygwin people, they ought to know
 > better. Ask for xterm as the emulation while you at it, not yet
 > another stupid emulator specific type.

Does anyone know how I might configure this? Backspace is now the only
aberrant key (in normal-erase-is-backspace-mode).

"Kris Thielemans" Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:04:39
 > does that mean you've sorted out the terminal problem then? (I
 > didn't have any problems are doing the CYGWIN and TERM stuff)

Yes, but it didn't work until after I installed emacs-X11!

 > by the way, if you don't have a /usr/lib (as you mentioned), there's
 > something very wrong with your installation! For example, your
 > package list mentions

 >  > libiconv2           1.8-2
 >  > libintl1            0.10.40-1
 >  > libintl2            0.11.5-1
 >  > libncurses5         5.2-1
 >  > libncurses6         5.2-8
 >  > libreadline4        4.1-2
 >  > libreadline5        4.3-2

 > these should all be in /usr/lib (which is actually the same as /lib
 > due to your mount points)

Hmm. I should probably try reinstalling. I did not delete my old
cygwin (1.3.10) install before putting the new one on--perhaps that
causes problems? Perhaps I should

* nuke all my cygwins

* install emacs-X11

 > note that C-h does work if you launch emacs from an xterm

No, C-h was wrong for me "out of the box" after installing (and using)
emacs-X11.

 > (or use the X version).

I'll try that. XWin comes up, now I need to learn how to set it up.