all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-30  1:40 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-03-30  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Do I misunderstand, or is the section "Timers for Delayed Execution"
in the lispref totally misleading when it speaks about absolute values
for TIME in run-at-time? It claims that "Absolute times may be
specified in a wide variety of formats", but this seems false.
run-at-time uses diary-entry-time, which just recognizes times of day
in a few simple forms ("11:23pm" etc) . Dates will be at best ignored,
or at worst be wrongly parsed as times of day.

* Re: lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-30  7:22 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-03-30  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

() Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
() Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:40:53 -0400

   Do I misunderstand, or is the section "Timers for Delayed Execution"
   in the lispref totally misleading when it speaks about absolute
   values for TIME in run-at-time? It claims that "Absolute times may be
   specified in a wide variety of formats", but this seems false.
   run-at-time uses diary-entry-time, which just recognizes times of day
   in a few simple forms ("11:23pm" etc) . Dates will be at best
   ignored, or at worst be wrongly parsed as times of day.

sounds like a bug.  perhaps `parse-time-string' is better:

 (let ((s "2007-03-30 09:10:11"))
   (list (diary-entry-time s)
         (parse-time-string s)))
 => (2007 (11 10 9 30 3 2007 nil nil nil))

thi

* Re: lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-30 21:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-30 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Do I misunderstand, or is the section "Timers for Delayed Execution"
    in the lispref totally misleading when it speaks about absolute values
    for TIME in run-at-time? It claims that "Absolute times may be
    specified in a wide variety of formats", but this seems false.

It is supposed to be true, so I think this is a bug.
When was it coded to use such a narrow range of formats?

* Re: lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-30 21:41   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-03-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> It is supposed to be true, so I think this is a bug.
> When was it coded to use such a narrow range of formats?

The first version in CVS, which dates from Jan 1996, seems to be
exactly the same in this regard as the current version (though
timer.el was created in 1990 according to the ChangeLog). So as far as
I can tell, it has never worked in the manner described in the
lispref. Though it would be nice if it did, changing the lispref seems
like the best change at this time.

* Re: lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-31 20:42     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Though it would be nice if it did, changing the lispref seems
    like the best change at this time.

Can you please do that?

* Re: lispref Timer section
@ 2007-03-31 23:27       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-03-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Though it would be nice if it did, changing the lispref seems
>     like the best change at this time.
>
> Can you please do that?

done.