all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using arrow keys in emacs
@ 2002-10-13  0:33 alan yeung
From: alan yeung @ 2002-10-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello
i'm new to emacs and not used to its cursor movement commands. is there any
way to configure emacs so i can use the more intuitive arrow keys? thanks a
lot.
alan

* Re: using arrow keys in emacs
@ 2002-10-13  0:54 ` alan yeung
From: alan yeung @ 2002-10-13  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

i found the following instructions on the web:

"you can add the following lines to your .emacs file (create one if you
don't already have
one):

    (if (not window-system)		;; Only use in tty-sessions.
     (progn
      (defvar arrow-keys-map (make-sparse-keymap) "Keymap for arrow keys")
      (define-key esc-map "[" arrow-keys-map)
      (define-key arrow-keys-map "A" 'previous-line)
      (define-key arrow-keys-map "B" 'next-line)
      (define-key arrow-keys-map "C" 'forward-char)
      (define-key arrow-keys-map "D" 'backward-char)))
"
what ".emacs" file is that? in what directory should i create it?

is it simply ".emacs" ?

thanks

"alan yeung" <aly324@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hello
> i'm new to emacs and not used to its cursor movement commands. is there
any
> way to configure emacs so i can use the more intuitive arrow keys? thanks
> lot.
> alan

* Re: using arrow keys in emacs
@ 2002-10-13  1:23 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-13  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i'm new to emacs and not used to its cursor movement commands. is there any
> way to configure emacs so i can use the more intuitive arrow keys? thanks a
> lot.

Normally it just works, so you'll have top give us more information
about your setup to see why it doesn't work.

* Re: using arrow keys in emacs
@ 2002-10-13  6:02   ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-13  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> i'm new to emacs and not used to its cursor movement commands. is there any
>> way to configure emacs so i can use the more intuitive arrow keys? thanks a
>> lot.
>
>Normally it just works, so you'll have top give us more information
>about your setup to see why it doesn't work.

It works for me. I am using xterm on one Debian box, and ssh to another
Debian box where I run Emacs. I use a custom terminfo entry, that
does not use that particular stupidity known as application mode.

The default terminfo entry appears to use application mode, so that
could be the problem.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

* Re: using arrow keys in emacs
@ 2002-10-13  6:44     ` alan yeung
From: alan yeung @ 2002-10-13  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

when i use the public computers at school, i can use the arrow keys in emacs
but they don't work when i use my own laptop, on which i use teraterm...

the arrow keys DO work on the windows telnet program, but for some reason
emacs doesn't refresh the screen properly (such that the top line fills up
the entire screen when i scroll up), and that's why i am using teraterm.

i don't know if the above info helps, but thanks.

@ 2002-10-13 17:15       ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-13 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

DON'T put your answers on top.

"alan yeung" <aly324@hotmail.com> writes:

>when i use the public computers at school, i can use the arrow keys in emacs
>but they don't work when i use my own laptop, on which i use teraterm...

The arrow key always work when you run Emacs under X, it is when you use
a terminal emulator that you can have problems.

>the arrow keys DO work on the windows telnet program, but for some reason
>emacs doesn't refresh the screen properly (such that the top line fills up
>the entire screen when i scroll up), and that's why i am using teraterm.

The windows telnet has a broken emulation. Score one for Microsoft
that got you to blame Emacs. I have used putty with good results. It
emulates xterm, which is obviously the right thing to do today. Just
remember to set backspace/delete right!

Anyway, I just tested Emacs 21.2 on Debian with an application-mode
using terminfo entry, and the arrow keys work. So this might not
be the problem after all.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr