all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* iso-latin coding
@ 2002-10-04 23:08 Raimund.Kohl
       [not found] ` <mailman.1033838954.18922.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-10-04 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I wonder where I can find some informations about the differences of all
those iso-latin-soandso ... so I can come up with a reasonable decision
which one to choose. I use a US keuyboard on a laptop but am to print 99%
in german language. So how can I tell emacs to allways use the proper
(which one?) coding when asked to save a file?

greetings, ray

* Re: iso-latin coding
@ 2002-10-05 17:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1033838954.18922.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-10-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de
> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:08:54 +0000 (GMT)
>
> I wonder where I can find some informations about the differences of all
> those iso-latin-soandso ... so I can come up with a reasonable decision
> which one to choose. I use a US keuyboard on a laptop but am to print 99%
> in german language. So how can I tell emacs to allways use the proper
> (which one?) coding when asked to save a file?

"M-x set-language-environment RET German RET" should set up the
appropriate defaults for you.

* Re: iso-latin coding
       [not found] ` <mailman.1033838954.18922.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-06  9:48   ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-10-06  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de
> > Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:08:54 +0000 (GMT)
> >
> > I wonder where I can find some informations about the differences of all
> > those iso-latin-soandso ... so I can come up with a reasonable decision
> > which one to choose. I use a US keuyboard on a laptop but am to print 99%
> > in german language. So how can I tell emacs to allways use the proper
> > (which one?) coding when asked to save a file?
>
> "M-x set-language-environment RET German RET" should set up the
> appropriate defaults for you.

The web page http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html contains some
information on the different iso-8859:s, if you would like the details.
It's really not complicated, and it points out a number of design
features of the characters sets that it would be useful if Emacs knew.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr