all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17  9:01 kj
From: kj @ 2005-10-17  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an Emacs session running all the time; each of these sessions
runs for days or weeks on end, so I'm not concerned about the fact
that Emacs takes a very long time to get started.

But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
auxiliary editor to come up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

kj

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 10:00 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-10-17 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From: kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>

> I have an Emacs session running all the time; each of these sessions
> runs for days or weeks on end, so I'm not concerned about the fact
> that Emacs takes a very long time to get started.
>
> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
> as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
> requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
> auxiliary editor to come up.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> kj

Use gnuclient/server or emacsclient/server, see http://www.emacswiki.org/ for more information.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 10:07 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-17 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2005 um 11:01 schrieb kj:

> Any suggestions?

(server-start) in .emacs, emacsclient in the OS.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve food that
is
inferior to McDonald's.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 10:24 ` Kaloian Doganov
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Kaloian Doganov @ 2005-10-17 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 17 окт 2005, socyl@987jk.com.invalid wrote:

> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
> as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
> requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
> auxiliary editor to come up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Emacs Client/Server is just for you.

(info "(emacs) Emacs Server")

--
Поздрави,
Калоян Доганов.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 13:05 ` Björn Lindström
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-10-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid> writes:

> I have an Emacs session running all the time; each of these sessions
> runs for days or weeks on end, so I'm not concerned about the fact
> that Emacs takes a very long time to get started.
>
> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
> as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
> requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
> auxiliary editor to come up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Others have already suggested emacsclient, which in most cases would
be the best solution. On machines with no Emacs, you can often still
use your local Emacs and Tramp.

In the other cases, I like to use nano, with a few options to make it
a bit more like Emacs, something like:

nano -c -k -w

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-17 13:31 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <mailman.11611.1129554667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-10-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid> writes:

> I have an Emacs session running all the time; each of these sessions
> runs for days or weeks on end, so I'm not concerned about the fact
> that Emacs takes a very long time to get started.
>
> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
> as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
> requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
> auxiliary editor to come up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Either use emacsclient
    export EDITOR=emacsclient
    export VISUAL=emacsclient
    export CVSEDITOR=emacsclient
etc...

or use:
    emacs -q -nw

it takes less than 2 seconds to load on a Athlon 1200 MHz.

If you want to use it in EDITOR:
  ( echo '#!/bin/bash' ; echo 'exec emacs -q -nw' ) > ~/bin/quick-emacs
  export EDITOR=$HOME/bin/quick-emacs

In deep sleep hear sound,
Cat vomit hairball somewhere.
Will find in morning.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.11611.1129554667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-17 13:36   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-10-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:
> Others have already suggested emacsclient, which in most cases would
> be the best solution. On machines with no Emacs, you can often still
> use your local Emacs and Tramp.
>
> In the other cases, I like to use nano, with a few options to make it
> a bit more like Emacs, something like:
>
> nano -c -k -w

This is VERY DANGEROUS.

If you use occasionally a different editor, the risks to make a
painfull finger error is very high.  The only thing you can do on an
system with no emacs (eg when you're installing a system and the
live-CD doesn't has it), is to install emacs before doing anything else.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 13:44   ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2005-10-17 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Pascal> If you want to use it in EDITOR:
    Pascal> ( echo '#!/bin/bash' ; echo 'exec emacs -q -nw' ) > ~/bin/quick-emacs
    Pascal> export EDITOR=$HOME/bin/quick-emacs ...

I think you need to
        chmod +x ~/bin/quick-emacs
before it works.  :)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 13:50     ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-10-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> This is VERY DANGEROUS.
>
> If you use occasionally a different editor, the risks to make a
> painfull finger error is very high.

I have yet to experience how this could lead to anything VERY
DANGEROUS. If you often get catastrophic results from typos, a
revision control system might help...

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 14:45     ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2005-10-17 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:
>> Others have already suggested emacsclient, which in most cases would
>> be the best solution. On machines with no Emacs, you can often still
>> use your local Emacs and Tramp.
>>
>> In the other cases, I like to use nano, with a few options to make it
>> a bit more like Emacs, something like:
>>
>> nano -c -k -w
>
> This is VERY DANGEROUS.
>
> If you use occasionally a different editor, the risks to make a
> painfull finger error is very high.  The only thing you can do on an
> system with no emacs (eg when you're installing a system and the
> live-CD doesn't has it), is to install emacs before doing anything
> else.

One can't always install things as he'd like to...

--
William

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 15:49     ` Max Vasin
From: Max Vasin @ 2005-10-17 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal> bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:
>> Others have already suggested emacsclient, which in most cases
>> would be the best solution. On machines with no Emacs, you can
>> often still use your local Emacs and Tramp.
>>
>> In the other cases, I like to use nano, with a few options to
>> make it a bit more like Emacs, something like:
>>
>> nano -c -k -w

Pascal> This is VERY DANGEROUS.

Pascal> If you use occasionally a different editor, the risks to
Pascal> make a painfull finger error is very high.  The only thing
Pascal> you can do on an system with no emacs (eg when you're
Pascal> installing a system and the live-CD doesn't has it), is to
Pascal> install emacs before doing anything else.
Another thing to do is to use some VERY DIFFERENT editor like vi ;-)

--
WBR,
Max Vasin.

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
@ 2005-10-17 20:14       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Pascal> This is VERY DANGEROUS.
>
>Pascal> If you use occasionally a different editor, the risks to
>Pascal> make a painfull finger error is very high.  The only thing
>Pascal> you can do on an system with no emacs (eg when you're
>Pascal> installing a system and the live-CD doesn't has it), is to
>Pascal> install emacs before doing anything else.
>Another thing to do is to use some VERY DIFFERENT editor like vi ;-)

A way to prepare for the unknown here is to always use viper-mode ;-)

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.11611.1129554667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-17 20:32 ` Kenneth Jacker
From: Kenneth Jacker @ 2005-10-17 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  kj> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs
  kj> clone) as the value of my EDITOR variable, ...

Another option is 'zile' (zile is lossy emacs):

        http://zile.sourceforge.net/

--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-18 16:14 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2005-10-18 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

kenneth already mentioned zile.

i'm still using `jove' ("jonathan's own version of emacs") for quick
editing tasks, and in fact, i've been using jove for years before i
got started with the real thing. jove is more old fashioned than zile:
no color, a silly limit on the length of lines, etc.

other choices are `qemacs' (which is said to be good for big files as
well, another task you wouldn't want to use gnu emacs for, has
utf8-support) and jed (customizable with `slang').

hum, sounds like i should put a

	function jove { qemacs -nw $*; }

in my .bashrc. 8-)

and a last option, that has not yet been mentioned: you could work on
your `.emacs' to cut down startup time, throw out packages you once
played with but never use, and use autoloads for the rest.

when i did that, i was able to reduce my startup time from 16s to 4s
for the first start (this is on an athlon xp 1600+). it goes further
down to 1.4s for following starts because of caching.

HTH,

anselm

* Re: ISO a fast-loading Emacs
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-22  6:19 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-10-22  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid> writes:

> I have an Emacs session running all the time; each of these sessions
> runs for days or weeks on end, so I'm not concerned about the fact
> that Emacs takes a very long time to get started.
>
> But I also would like to have a fast-loading Emacs (or Emacs clone)
> as the value of my EDITOR variable, so that whenever a program
> requires me to edit text I don't have to wait a long time for the
> auxiliary editor to come up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, use gnuserv. Just put
(gnuserv-start)

in your .emacs and set your shell EDITOR variable to

EDITOR=gnuclient

Then when a program references EDITOR, such as crontab -e, an emacs
frame will be opened. Very fast - probably as fast as using vi and
certainly faster than starting a whole new emacs.

Tim
--
Tim Cross