On 25/08/17 11:42, Richard Banach wrote: > * in tex mode, if I type $\it identifiername$ it doesn't recognise > the second $ as closing the scope of \it ... and wants to underline > everything that follows ... i haven't found how to turn this off Based on your description, this seems like a bug. I recommend opening a bug report. > * in the old days, it used the 'angry primary colors' color scheme, which > was great for someone with poor sight like me, ... nowadays pale pastel > schemes are the default ... how can I get 'angry primary colors' back? Try M-x “customize-themes”. I have never seen “pale pastel” colors by default. What version of Emacs do you use? -- Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan