all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Introducing a great new minimal Emacs config
@ 2019-04-16  2:36 Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-16  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

$ emacs -Q

* Re: Introducing a great new minimal Emacs config
@ 2019-04-17 10:37 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-04-17 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Paul W. Rankin" writes:

> $ emacs -Q

On the tty my eyes are blind to blue on black, I use

  % emacs -Q --color=no

Is there a way to set emacsclient on the tty for no color?

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: Introducing a great new minimal Emacs config
@ 2019-04-17 11:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-17 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On April 17, 2019 1:37:26 PM GMT+03:00, Van L <van@scratch.space> wrote:
> "Paul W. Rankin" writes:
>
> > $ emacs -Q
>
> On the tty my eyes are blind to blue on black, I use
>
>   % emacs -Q --color=no
>
> Is there a way to set emacsclient on the tty for no color?

You can set the tty-color-mode parameter of the frame, see its documentation in the ELisp manual.

* Re: Introducing a great new minimal Emacs config
@ 2019-04-17 13:48     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-04-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>> Is there a way to set emacsclient on the tty for no color?
>
> You can set the tty-color-mode parameter of the frame, see its
> documentation in the ELisp manual.

Noted. Thanks.

* Re: Introducing a great new minimal Emacs config
@ 2019-04-17 13:57   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On the tty my eyes are blind to blue on black, I use
>   % emacs -Q --color=no
> Is there a way to set emacsclient on the tty for no color?

Rather than throw away color support altogether, you could tell Emacs
that your terminal has a dark background, in which case it will choose
saner colors for your situation (in general Emacs can't know the
background color of your terminal and it by default presumes it's
a light color, IIRC).  E.g.:

    emacs -nw -Q --eval "(setq frame-background-mode 'dark)"

Of course, you may still prefer not using colors at all, and I have
nothing against that.