Hi all, On 15.08.19 14:41, Mauro Aranda wrote: > Hello Lars. > > Lars Ingebrigtsen > writes: > > > Andreas Röhler > writes: > > > >> add-abbrev uses forward-word to catch the expansion, which isn't good > >> for programming code. > >> > >> See > >> > >> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19073674/how-can-i-add-my-personal-abbreviation-to-emmet-mode-in-emacs/19079683#19079683 > >> > >> Suggest to use forward-symbol instead, or still better to make if > customizable: > > > > `add-abbrev' doesn't have a doc string itself, but as all the in-tree > > callers of this function says: > > > > --- > > Don't use this function in a Lisp program; use `define-abbrev' instead. > > --- > > > > So you probably shouldn't use this programmatically, either. > > I don't think the OP wanted to use `add-abbrev' in a Lisp program.  What > I understand is that the problem reported arises when someone wants to > add an abbrev for a programming construct (in the example: "") > it is likely that `add-abbrev' won't give the entire desired > expansion. > > With that being said, at least in current Emacs it is easy to add that > abbrev, by setting the mark and point properly and calling > `add-mode-abbrev' with a 0 prefix argument. > > > However, it's possible that the `forward-word' should perhaps be > > changed, but on the other hand, abbrev.el will probably be deprecated > > any year now in favour of nabbrev.el, so I don't think it's a good idea > > What is nabbrev.el?  I did a search in what I believe are usual places, > but didn't found anything. The idea was to get rid of the restriction only word-syntax chars might compose an abbreviation. After all, when playing with a patched Emacs allowing all chars, it turned out word-chars are much more easy to type, so didn't use symbol-composed abbrevs finally.