all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ediff error -- Permission denied (Win8)
@ 2013-08-01 20:30 Yeşim Erke-Magent
From: Yeşim Erke-Magent @ 2013-08-01 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It has been years I used Emacs so when I needed to compare 2 text files (they are VBA macros, but I saved them with .txt extension.  I installed emacs (version 24.3.1) and used "Compare (Ediff)" under "Tools" menu.  Then selected "Two files" and I receive

"Searching for program: permission denied, diff"

I then open the files and tried to compare 2 buffers, but it didn't make any difference.

I have 64-bit Win8 on my PC and emacs' directory is under Users directory, not Program Files. Could this be a problem?

BTW, I also installed GNU grep, but couldn't manage to run it through command line.  I then tried using grep under Tools of emacs and it didn't work either.

I wish I had Unix running on my machine!

I will appreciate any suggestions.