Thank you all for taking your time to reply! @Kevin: I've added "layout-configuration-alist" to this var, and indeed, it saved, but here's what it wrote: (setq layout-configuration-alist '(("Unprintable entity" "Unprintable > entity" ("Unprintable entity" . "revive.el")) ("Unprintable entity" > "Unprintable entity" ("Unprintable entity" . "dot.emacs.el") ("Unprintable > entity" . "dot.emacs.el")))) > "Unprintable entity". Any way I could fix it from the top of your head? @Pascal: Thanks for the comprehensive answer! An alternative would be not to try to save EVERYTHING, but only what > really matters to you, taking care of saving only readably printable > objects, or for which you write a serialization/deserialization > function pair. > Well, you are absolutely right -- actually, the only thing that interests me is saving and restoring the value of "layout-configuration-alist", so I can have my buffer-indexed window layouts persisted. How could I go and write a serialization/deserialization function pair? And where would I integrate it? Thanks, Marcelo. On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Kevin Rodgers wrote: > Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote: > >> Hello list, >> >> I'm trying to combine DeskTop, layout-restore.el and revive.el to create >> the ultimate persistence experience :) >> >> Well, what I'm trying to do is, every time I exit emacs, the whole memory >> state (elisp object's tree) will be dumped to a file and reloaded when I >> restart emacs again. >> >> Why am I trying to do this? Well, there are many settings in emacs that >> are volatile, many vars that are not saved. I know that emacs has the >> capability to save its vars into .emacs, but this depends on the mode and >> the var, no? >> > > C-h v desktop-globals-to-save > C-h v desktop-locals-to-save > > -- > Kevin Rodgers > Denver, Colorado, USA > > > >