all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* weird invisbile symbols added in latex
@ 2005-10-26 20:16 Jim Zhang
From: Jim Zhang @ 2005-10-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having a problem:

1. a simple looking latex file. On the file, it reads fine. However, when
executing it, it always reads "no \begin{document}". Of course the
"\begin{document}" is right there!

2. I tried to open the file in another program, say the Texshop in Mac. And
found out that at the very beginning of the file there is a ".~" prefix. I
deleted and compile it again. Don't execute.

3. Now try to open it in Emacs, got a lot of weird symbols, "~@@!!X" is a
typical excerpt.

Does anyone else having the problem?

I did make a lot of "M-x" wrong inputs. Would that be the cause?

BTW, say I am in a process of compilation, to quit forcefully is "Esc-Q"
right?
somtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks,

--Jim

* Re: weird invisbile symbols added in latex
@ 2005-10-26 22:51 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-26 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.10.2005 um 22:16 schrieb Jim Zhang:

>  BTW, say I am in a process of compilation, to quit forcefully is
> "Esc-Q" right?
>  somtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Esc-Q (M-q) is fill-paragraph. To kill a compilation C-c k is
recommended.

Try to use

	%% -*- mode: LaTeX-mode; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-

or such as first line. You can input it with vi.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: weird invisbile symbols added in latex
@ 2005-10-27 13:15   ` Jim Zhang
From: Jim Zhang @ 2005-10-27 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

I tried to hit C-c k, it says "C-c k is undefined".
Also, maybe I should address my question more clearly.

Say I am inputting "M-x kill" then realized I don't want to do it.
Can I quit whatever going on in the minibuffer?

Thanks,

--Jim.

@ 2005-10-27 14:37     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-27 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.10.2005 um 15:15 schrieb Jim Zhang:

>  Say I am inputting "M-x kill" then realized I don't want to do it.
>  Can I quit whatever going on in the minibuffer?

No. You can stop things going on in mini-buffer with C-g. Sometimes it
needs many when you're in kind of an endless loop.

You should better give some more information about this 'compilation
mode' that you were using. When a compilation happens and some
*compilation* buffer gets created you should be able to invoke M-x
describe-mode <RET> and from this then appearing *Help* buffer you
should be able to find some specific key bindings for this mode. For
example how to kill the compilation going on ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9