all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff against branch with git
@ 2009-06-02 15:26 George Nurser
From: George Nurser @ 2009-06-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I was hoping to able to use ediff to compare the versions of a given
file on two git branches. I couldn't see anyway to do it though. I
have Emacs v23, with the standard version control package, and the
latest version from the git repository of git-emacs.

Am I missing something? Or is there another package that will do this?

--George Nurser.

* Re: ediff against branch with git
       [not found] <mailman.8365.1243956425.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-02 19:56 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-06-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

George Nurser wrote:
> Hi,
> I was hoping to able to use ediff to compare the versions of a given
> file on two git branches. I couldn't see anyway to do it though. I
> have Emacs v23, with the standard version control package, and the
> latest version from the git repository of git-emacs.
>
> Am I missing something? Or is there another package that will do this?
>
> --George Nurser.

Hi George,
I don't use git,  but using cvs-mode,
the most obvious way to do it would to use
C-u d e   <ediff in cvs>
and add -R<branch-tag> -R<other-branch-tag> to the CVS command.

This might work in git's CVS compatibility mode.

HTH,
Colin S. Miler

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

@ 2009-06-03  7:47 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-06-03  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

George Nurser writes:

> Hi,
> I was hoping to able to use ediff to compare the versions of a given
> file on two git branches. I couldn't see anyway to do it though. I
> have Emacs v23, with the standard version control package, and the
> latest version from the git repository of git-emacs.
>
> Am I missing something? Or is there another package that will do this?
>
> --George Nurser.

Hi,

do you know about ediff-revision ?

Martin
--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: ediff against branch with git
@ 2009-06-03  9:52   ` George Nurser
From: George Nurser @ 2009-06-03  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: parozusa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I knew about ediff-revision, but didn't realise that it could take a
branch name in the selection dialogue.

Thanks very much!

George.