all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-04 22:07 Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-03-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Imagine you have this:

~/tmp/esh $ ls
long_file_name.gif

and want to do this

~/tmp/esh $ rm long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename>

That works ok, eshell completes the filename. But what if I want to
rename that file to long_file_name.jpeg? This does not work as I want:

~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>

I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
smart for my taste... :)

Any variable I might want to customize and any drawbacks?

* Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-04 22:27 ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-04 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, brakjoller@hotmail.com (Barman Brakjoller) nous a dit:

> Imagine you have this:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ ls
> long_file_name.gif
>
> and want to do this
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ rm long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename>
>
> That works ok, eshell completes the filename. But what if I want to
> rename that file to long_file_name.jpeg? This does not work as I want:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
> again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>
>
> I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
> smart for my taste... :)
>
> Any variable I might want to customize and any drawbacks?

Not tested, but a little set-mark before pressing tab, then, when name
is completed, a copy-region-as-kill, then the rest of your line :

~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo
                    ^                                        ^   ^
              set-mark                    copy-region-as-kill    yank

No ? :)

Hope this helps.

--
Lucas

* Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-04 22:28 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2003-03-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

brakjoller@hotmail.com (Barman Brakjoller) writes:

> That works ok, eshell completes the filename. But what if I want to
> rename that file to long_file_name.jpeg? This does not work as I
> want:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
> again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>
>
> I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
> smart for my taste... :)

Use C-c C-y to re-insert the final argument of the current line.  In
general, Eshell tries not to complete an argument twice, since it is
so rarely what you want to do.

John

* Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-05  3:29 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-05  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barman Brakjoller wrote:

> Imagine you have this:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ ls
> long_file_name.gif
>
> and want to do this
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ rm long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename>
>
> That works ok, eshell completes the filename. But what if I want to
> rename that file to long_file_name.jpeg? This does not work as I want:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
> again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>
>
> I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
> smart for my taste... :)
>
> Any variable I might want to customize and any drawbacks?

I don't use eshell much myself, but I know I have to reuse the same filename
all the time, usually slightly modified the second time.  So this behaviour
would be too smart for me too.  ;)

I don't know if you know about dabbrev, and hippie-expand (the latter is the
superset of the former).  I think these can be used to easily do what you
want, and they'll be generally useful in other major modes too.

--
Le

* Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-05  4:03   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2003-03-05  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang <lewang(at@)yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't use eshell much myself, but I know I have to reuse the same
> filename all the time, usually slightly modified the second time.
> So this behaviour would be too smart for me too.  ;)

Then set `eshell-cmpl-use-paring' to nil.  Then it won't try to
intelligently "pare down" your set of possible completions anymore.

John

* Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
@ 2003-03-05 14:48   ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-03-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > ~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
> > again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>
> >
> > I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
> > smart for my taste... :)
>
> Use C-c C-y to re-insert the final argument of the current line.  In
> general, Eshell tries not to complete an argument twice, since it is
> so rarely what you want to do.

Ahhh, eshell-repeat-argument is exactly what I need, and I can still
have the "intelligent" :) completion enabled. I just have to bind it
to another key and I'll be all Happy happy, joy joy!