all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: RE: Default value of recenter-redisplay
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:36:47 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> And as long as I am here I am also one of those people who didn't like
> the change from recenter to recenter-top-bottom.  I added this to my
> key bindings to avoid it.  (global-set-key "\C-l" 'recenter) ;
> originally recenter, now annoyingly recenter-top-bottom

Probably the other 3 "people who didn't like the change"
did the same thing. ;-)

As the guy responsible for `recenter-top-bottom', and for
its stealing key `C-l' from `recenter': what you did is
the right thing to do, if you want `recenter' behavior.

It's the reason `recenter-top-bottom' is a separate command.
It's trivial to use the key you want for the behavior you
want, as long as you have a command that does what you want.

The question of default behavior is a different one from
what this or that user prefers for their own use.  Emacs
is the easiest and most flexible application when it comes
to customizing keys.  Be glad.