all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
       [not found] ` <20170521000029.791B421038@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2017-05-21  7:30   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2017-05-21  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Glenn Morris

On 21.05.2017 3:00, Glenn Morris wrote:
> branch: master
> commit ed8b4e0c0c5da838e639d1505bdd090a7e2d735f
> Author: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Commit: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
>
>      Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
>
>      * test/lisp/vc/vc-tests.el (vc-test--create-repo)
>      (vc-test--register, vc-test--working-revision)
>      (vc-test--checkout-model): Set temporary BZR_HOME, to disable logging.

This is one big patch.

What's so important in disabling logging while running tests?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
@ 2017-05-21 14:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-05-21 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 10:30:15 +0300
>
> > Commit: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> >
> >      Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
> >
> >      * test/lisp/vc/vc-tests.el (vc-test--create-repo)
> >      (vc-test--register, vc-test--working-revision)
> >      (vc-test--checkout-model): Set temporary BZR_HOME, to disable logging.
>
> This is one big patch.
>
> What's so important in disabling logging while running tests?

Bazaar records everything it does on the ~/.bzr.log file.  I guess
Glenn doesn't want the records from running the Emacs tests to bloat
his log, as those logs are not really interesting.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
@ 2017-05-22 20:52       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-05-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Dmitry Gutov

>> This is one big patch.

I don't think adding the same 7 lines to 4 functions is big,
nor something that should be split into more than one commit.

>> What's so important in disabling logging while running tests?
>
> Bazaar records everything it does on the ~/.bzr.log file.  I guess
> Glenn doesn't want the records from running the Emacs tests to bloat
> his log, as those logs are not really interesting.

Right.
I think running tests should not interact with HOME at all,
and certainly should not write there.
(Perhaps test/Makefile should export a temporary HOME,
but tests can still be run not via the Makefile.)

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master ed8b4e0: Prevent running vc-tests writing to ~/.bzr.log
@ 2017-05-22 21:02         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2017-05-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 5/22/17 11:52 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

>>> This is one big patch.
>
> I don't think adding the same 7 lines to 4 functions is big,
> nor something that should be split into more than one commit.

Rather, it's a chance that might be hard to maintain. I can easily see
myself adding a test or two and forgetting to use Bzr the way you want here.

So I have to wonder whether this change is really necessary, or if it
could be made in a more fool-proof way.

> I think running tests should not interact with HOME at all,
> and certainly should not write there.
> (Perhaps test/Makefile should export a temporary HOME,
> but tests can still be run not via the Makefile.)

Perhaps the tests could use a special proxy script for calling Bzr that
would reside in the test directory, which disables logging somehow.