all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Volunteering for Emacs documentation
@ 2015-04-17  7:15 Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2015-04-17  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

There was a discussion on emacs-devel@gnu.org were it was said that
volunteers were velcomed to work on Emacs manual and doc strings.
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00216.html).

What should one of these volunteers do to be useful?

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: Volunteering for Emacs documentation
@ 2015-04-17  7:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-17  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gian Uberto Lauri; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:15:01 +0200
> From: "Gian Uberto Lauri" <saint@eng.it>
>
> There was a discussion on emacs-devel@gnu.org were it was said that
> volunteers were velcomed to work on Emacs manual and doc strings.
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00216.html).
>
> What should one of these volunteers do to be useful?

One way of contributing to the documentation is to search the Emacs
bug tracker for bugs related to documentation, like errors or
inaccuracies in the manuals, and fix them.

Another way is to add documentation for new features in the repository
mentioned in NEWS without either a "+++" or "---" marker.

Yet another way is to read the discussions which indicate that some
piece of documentation needs to be improved, and do that.

Thanks.

* Re: Volunteering for Emacs documentation
@ 2015-04-17  8:20   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2015-04-17  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Gian Uberto Lauri, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:15:01 +0200
 > > From: "Gian Uberto Lauri" <saint@eng.it>
 > >
 > > There was a discussion on emacs-devel@gnu.org were it was said that
 > > volunteers were velcomed to work on Emacs manual and doc strings.
 > > (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00216.html).
 > >
 > > What should one of these volunteers do to be useful?
 >
 > One way of contributing to the documentation is to search the Emacs
 > bug tracker for bugs related to documentation, like errors or
 > inaccuracies in the manuals, and fix them.
 >
 > Another way is to add documentation for new features in the repository
 > mentioned in NEWS without either a "+++" or "---" marker.
 >
 > Yet another way is to read the discussions which indicate that some
 > piece of documentation needs to be improved, and do that.

Aye!

--

@ 2015-04-17 11:07     ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-04-17 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gian Uberto Lauri
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org, emacs-devel

On 2015-04-17 05:20, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > > Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:15:01 +0200
>  > > From: "Gian Uberto Lauri" <saint@eng.it>
>  > >
>  > > There was a discussion on emacs-devel@gnu.org were it was said
> that
>  > > volunteers were velcomed to work on Emacs manual and doc strings.
>  > >
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00216.html).
>  > >
>  > > What should one of these volunteers do to be useful?
>  >
>  > One way of contributing to the documentation is to search the Emacs
>  > bug tracker for bugs related to documentation, like errors or
>  > inaccuracies in the manuals, and fix them.
>  >
>  > Another way is to add documentation for new features in the
> repository
>  > mentioned in NEWS without either a "+++" or "---" marker.
>  >
>  > Yet another way is to read the discussions which indicate that some
>  > piece of documentation needs to be improved, and do that.
>
> Aye!
I'd like to help it.

What's next step?

Thanks.
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: Volunteering for Emacs documentation
@ 2015-04-17 12:37       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-17 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pimentel; +Cc: saint, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:07:09 -0300
> From: Daniel Pimentel <d4n1@openmailbox.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  emacs-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org@gnu.org
>
> I'd like to help it.
>
> What's next step?

Submit patches to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, I guess.  If you envision
doing this more than just a handful, I suggest to start your copyright
assignment paperwork, so that when your submissions exceed what we can
admit without an assignment, there will be no problem to accept more.

Thanks.

* Re: Volunteering for Emacs documentation
@ 2015-04-18  8:36   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2015-04-18  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel