all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-14 13:21 Martin Rubey
From: Martin Rubey @ 2003-11-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would need a (minor) mode that allows me to select arbitrary parts of the
buffer with the mouse to 'highlight' them, just as if I could take my pen and
underline some parts of the text (or numbers, in fact).

It would be wonderful to have this,

Martin

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-14 16:40 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-14 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Rubey wrote:

> I would need a (minor) mode that allows me to select arbitrary parts of the
> buffer with the mouse to 'highlight' them, just as if I could take my pen and
> underline some parts of the text (or numbers, in fact).

Select the text with the mouse, then type `M-g u'.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-14 18:10   ` Martin Rubey
From: Martin Rubey @ 2003-11-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

(sorry Kevin, I pressed the wrong button, so it ended up as mail instead of as
follow-up)

Thanks a lot, but this seems to work only in fundamental mode? I need in in
Inferior Lisp mode though.

(apart from this, it seems to be quite what I need, thank you very much)

@ 2003-11-14 19:58     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Rubey wrote:

> Thanks a lot, but this seems to work only in fundamental mode? I need in in
> Inferior Lisp mode though.

It works for me.  What version of Emacs are you using?  Can you select text with

the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?  What does `C-h k M-g u' say?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-14 22:50       ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-11-14 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kevin> the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?  What does `C-h k M-g u'
    Kevin> say?

I have M-g bound to goto-line... mistake I guess.. what is it bound
to for you?  Or is there a way to see what the default keymapping is
without restarting emacs with -q.  I didn't know there was a way to
highlight like that outside of the highlight-regex funcs.

Thanks.

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-15  1:20         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-15  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee wrote:

>     Kevin> the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?  What does `C-h k M-g u'
>     Kevin> say?
>
> I have M-g bound to goto-line... mistake I guess.. what is it bound
> to for you?  Or is there a way to see what the default keymapping is
> without restarting emacs with -q.  I didn't know there was a way to
> highlight like that outside of the highlight-regex funcs.

M-g is bound by default to `facemenu-keymap', but perhaps some local

customization file overrides that.  (Only the `C-c LETTER' key sequences

are reserved for users and well-behaved libraries.)  Does it work if
you invoke Emacs without any local customizatons (emacs -q --no-site-file)?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-15  9:55       ` Thomas Gehrlein
From: Thomas Gehrlein @ 2003-11-15  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Martin Rubey wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot, but this seems to work only in fundamental mode? I need in in
>> Inferior Lisp mode though.
>
> It works for me.  What version of Emacs are you using?  Can you select text
> with the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?  What does `C-h k M-g u' say?

Do you use font-lock-mode?  M-g u didn't work for me in emacs-lisp-mode with
font-lock on.  It worked when I switched font-lock off.

Thomas

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-15 15:28         ` Rob Thorpe
From: Rob Thorpe @ 2003-11-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<uu156y370.fsf@swbell.net>...

>     Kevin> the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?  What does `C-h k M-g u'
>     Kevin> say?
>
> I have M-g bound to goto-line... mistake I guess.. what is it bound
> to for you?  Or is there a way to see what the default keymapping is
> without restarting emacs with -q.  I didn't know there was a way to
> highlight like that outside of the highlight-regex funcs.
>
> Thanks.

The site-lisp file shipped with Mandrake and Red Hat does this
unfortunately.  Its a pity really, since goto-line isn't very useful.

You could:-
- turn of font-lock-mode
- turn on highlight-changes-mode
- turn font-lock-mode back on again

In my Emacs this works, but it looks like someone needs to make
highlight-changes-mode work with font-lock.

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-15 16:26       ` Martin Rubey
From: Martin Rubey @ 2003-11-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> It works for me.  What version of Emacs are you using?

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2002-04-09 on porky.devel.redhat.com

> Can you select text with the mouse in Inferior Lisp mode?

Yes

> What does `C-h k M-g u' say?

When I press `C-h k M-g u' being in my Inferior Lisp buffer, I get

M-g u runs the command facemenu-set-underline
   which is an interactive Lisp function.
(facemenu-set-underline)

Select face `underline' for subsequent insertion.

In fact, pressing M-g in the Inferior Lisp buffer asks me which face I want, so
I press `b' for bold, for example, but then nothing happens - not a beep, no
message in *Messages*, simply nothing.

If I switch to fundamental mode or text mode, set the face of the text (this
works), and switch back to Inferior Lisp mode afterwards, the boldface (or
whatever) disappears immediately.

Very strange

@ 2003-11-15 16:34         ` Martin Rubey
From: Martin Rubey @ 2003-11-15 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Gehrlein <thomas.gehrlein@t-online.de> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> Do you use font-lock-mode?  M-g u didn't work for me in emacs-lisp-mode with
> font-lock on.  It worked when I switched font-lock off.

Yes, it seems that this is the problem. Thanks a lot.

@ 2003-11-16 23:11           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-16 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You could:-
> - turn of font-lock-mode
> - turn on highlight-changes-mode
> - turn font-lock-mode back on again

> In my Emacs this works, but it looks like someone needs to make
> highlight-changes-mode work with font-lock.

I missed the beginning of this thread.
Could you post a bug-report describing the problem and how to reproduce it?

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-17 10:44             ` Rob Thorpe
From: Rob Thorpe @ 2003-11-17 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message news:<jwv65hjvrin.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@vor.iro.umontreal.ca>...
> > You could:-
> > - turn of font-lock-mode
> > - turn on highlight-changes-mode
> > - turn font-lock-mode back on again
>
> > In my Emacs this works, but it looks like someone needs to make
> > highlight-changes-mode work with font-lock.
>
> I missed the beginning of this thread.
> Could you post a bug-report describing the problem and how to reproduce it?
>

>         Stefan

Certainly

* Re: highlight parts of various buffers
@ 2003-11-24 17:21               ` Rob Thorpe
From: Rob Thorpe @ 2003-11-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert.thorpe@antenova.com (Rob Thorpe) wrote in message news:<1a61f7e5.0311170244.4e775ae5@posting.google.com>...
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message news:<jwv65hjvrin.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@vor.iro.umontreal.ca>...
> > > You could:-
> > > - turn of font-lock-mode
> > > - turn on highlight-changes-mode
> > > - turn font-lock-mode back on again
>
> > > In my Emacs this works, but it looks like someone needs to make
> > > highlight-changes-mode work with font-lock.
> >
> > I missed the beginning of this thread.
> > Could you post a bug-report describing the problem and how to reproduce it?
> >

> >         Stefan
>
> Certainly

I can't replicate the program, it must have been something to do with my setup.

Sorry, false alarm.