all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-19 18:52 Tim Häring
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1292788277.656.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Häring @ 2010-12-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have a problem with german "Umlaute" like ä, ö or ü in emacs.
If I write a text-file in e.g. gedit like the following:
Hällöle
and open it with emacs I get the following:
hällöle

Don`t know what the problem is. Becaus it is no problem to write Umlaute
in the buffer. If I modify my file to
hällöle
äää
and save it with C-c C-s, exit emacs with C-x C-c, open emacs again and
load my file, the Umlaute in the second row were correctly displayed.

I am relatively new to Linux und Emacs. So maybe the problem is very
trivial. I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 under Ubuntu 10.10. I installed
emacs using
apt-get install emacs

Thanks for every hint.

TIM

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-19 19:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1292788277.656.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Häring; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.12.2010 um 19:52 schrieb Tim Häring:

> If I write a text-file in e.g. gedit like the following:
> Hällöle
> and open it with emacs I get the following:
> hällöle

Make GNU Emacs open the file in UTF-8! GNU Emacs will do that
automatically when it finds in the environment LANG or LC_CTYPE set to
some *.UTF-8 value. Another option is to put into your init file:

	(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,
for instance.
				– Franklin P. Jones

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-19 21:21   ` "Tim Häring"
From: "Tim Häring" @ 2010-12-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Problem solved,

thank you.
TIM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:51:03 +0100
> Von: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> An: "Tim Häring" <tim.haering@gmx.net>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Betreff: Re: umlaute not recognized

> Am 19.12.2010 um 19:52 schrieb Tim Häring:
>
> > If I write a text-file in e.g. gedit like the following:
> > Hällöle
> > and open it with emacs I get the following:
> > hällöle
>

> Make GNU Emacs open the file in UTF-8! GNU Emacs will do that
> automatically when it finds in the environment LANG or LC_CTYPE set to
> some *.UTF-8 value. Another option is to put into your init file:
>
> 	(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>    Pete
>
> You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,
> for instance.
> 				– Franklin P. Jones

* Re: umlaute not recognized
       [not found] ` <mailman.6.1292788277.656.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-20 11:05   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-12-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter

I have a similar problem, which doesn't disappear with

(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

and my env is set
:~$ env|grep LANG
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
GDM_LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

I have an org file where umlauts are occasionally set to something
like ä or \ddd (d=digit).

Exporting to latex fails for obscure reasons.

describe-coding-system says
----------------
Coding system for saving this buffer:
  1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)

Default coding system (for new files):
  1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)
----------------

And the codings system is the same for new files, despite all utf8
settings.

Any ideas?

Cheers
  Rolf

On 19 Dez., 20:51, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 19.12.2010 um 19:52 schrieb Tim Häring:
>
> > If I write a text-file in e.g. gedit like the following:
> > Hällöle
> > and open it with emacs I get the following:
> > hällöle
>
> Make GNU Emacs open the file in UTF-8! GNU Emacs will do that
> automatically when it finds in the environment LANG or LC_CTYPE set to
> some *.UTF-8 value. Another option is to put into your init file:
>
>         (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-20 11:56     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1292846240.32310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-20 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.12.2010 um 12:05 schrieb LanX:

> Any ideas?

No. I do not use org-mode. It might have its own ideas and keep
resetting sane defaults. RTFM!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

fools.
	- Douglas Adams, »Mostly Harmless«

* Re: umlaute not recognized
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1292846240.32310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-20 12:35       ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-12-20 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > Any ideas?
>
> No. I do not use org-mode. It might have its own ideas and keep
> resetting sane defaults. RTFM!

Well it wasn't an org-mode problem, and I grepped all my .el for
"coding" and "system" to find the culprit setting...

Now I isolated a saved customization "current-language-environment"
set to "German" causing the problem.

Coding system settigs are fixed now! :)

thanks...

PS: well latex processing still fails, I'll have to isolate the
problem maybe any invisible characters causing problems...

* Re: umlaute not recognized
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1292846240.32310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-20 12:57     ` ken
From: ken @ 2010-12-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 12/20/2010 06:05 AM LanX wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> I have a similar problem, which doesn't disappear with
>
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> and my env is set
> :~$ env|grep LANG
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> GDM_LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
>
> I have an org file where umlauts are occasionally set to something
> like ä or \ddd (d=digit).
>
> Exporting to latex fails for obscure reasons.
>
> describe-coding-system says
> ----------------
> Coding system for saving this buffer:
>   1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)
>
> Default coding system (for new files):
>   1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)
> ----------------
>
> And the codings system is the same for new files, despite all utf8
> settings.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>   Rolf
>
> On 19 Dez., 20:51, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>> Am 19.12.2010 um 19:52 schrieb Tim Häring:
>>
>>> If I write a text-file in e.g. gedit like the following:
>>> Hällöle
>>> and open it with emacs I get the following:
>>> hällöle
>> Make GNU Emacs open the file in UTF-8! GNU Emacs will do that
>> automatically when it finds in the environment LANG or LC_CTYPE set to
>> some *.UTF-8 value. Another option is to put into your init file:
>>
>>         (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

What works for me:

Insert this into the top of the file:

<!-- -*- coding: utf-8; -*- -->

Do "C-x C-v RETURN" to reload the file.

I then see a 'U' in the second column of the status line.  Sometimes
there are characters in the file which are not UTF-8 and so which don't
display properly; they appear as '\366' or suchlike... a backslash and a
three-digit number.  Attempting to save the file, I'm queried about
them.  But I do a search-and-replace on these and when they're all
removed, the file is properly saved in UTF-8.

hth,
ken

--
"The owners of this country know the truth: It's called the
American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-20 13:54         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: LanX; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.12.2010 um 13:35 schrieb LanX:

> Now I isolated a saved customization "current-language-environment"
> set to "German" causing the problem.

Yes, a "language-environment" can be common, ähh, gemein!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

                   Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-20 13:59       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-20 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gebser; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 20.12.2010 um 13:57 schrieb ken:

> I then see a 'U' in the second column of the status line.  Sometimes
> there are characters in the file which are not UTF-8 and so which
> don't
> display properly; they appear as '\366' or suchlike... a backslash
> and a
> three-digit number.  Attempting to save the file, I'm queried about
> them.  But I do a search-and-replace on these and when they're all
> removed, the file is properly saved in UTF-8.

You could as well undo all editing or kill that buffer at once without
saving, reopen it in the correct encoding, add the "header line" with
the local variable settings, and then choose an UTF-8 encoding for
saving! (Try it!)

Or you could use recode or iconv to change the file's encoding...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: umlaute not recognized
@ 2010-12-20 19:54         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > Any ideas?
>> No. I do not use org-mode. It might have its own ideas and keep
>> resetting sane defaults. RTFM!
> Well it wasn't an org-mode problem, and I grepped all my .el for
> "coding" and "system" to find the culprit setting...
> Now I isolated a saved customization "current-language-environment"
> set to "German" causing the problem.

Please report this via M-x report-emacs-bug:  setting a German language
env should not prevent recognition of utf-8 files.