all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sunrise Commander: Mode Line Extension
@ 2009-10-10 23:36 José A. Romero L.
       [not found] ` <mailman.8543.1255275196.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, Emacs Community!

Just to inform you about a new usability enhancement I've just
released for the Sunrise Commander window manager[1]: sunrise-x-
modeline -- a minor mode that puts the directory path of each Sunrise
pane on the mode line of its respective window, so it remains always
visible. This spares the need to scroll up long sunrise buffers just
to check where exactly you are in the file system.

To get a copy of the Sunrise Mode Line extension (including
installation and usage notes) go to: http://joseito.republika.pl/sunrise-x-modeline.el.gz

[1] For more information about the Sunrise Commander and a list of
currently available extensions see: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Sunrise_Commander

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
joseito (at) poczta (dot) onet (dot) pl

* Re: Sunrise Commander: Mode Line Extension
@ 2009-10-11 15:32 ` Renaud Casenave-Péré
       [not found] ` <mailman.8543.1255275196.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Renaud Casenave-Péré @ 2009-10-11 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Your post made me discover Sunrise Commander and I can't wait to start playing with it. I missed a good orthodox file manager within emacs, thank you !

I checked emacswiki page about it and downloaded every modules I found there but it seems there is a problem with sunrise-x-popviewer.el

after invoking `emacs -Q', I load sunrise commander with these commands :

(require 'sunrise-commander)
(require 'sunrise-x-popviewer)

then, I try to start sunrise with `M-x sunrise' and I get the following error :

intern: Wrong type argument: sequencep, left

Anyhow, thanks for your hard work,

--
Renaud Casenave-Péré

@ 2009-10-12  8:26   ` José A. Romero L.
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8595.1255353574.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-12  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11 Paź, 17:32, Renaud Casenave-Péré <ren...@casenave-pere.fr>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Your post made me discover Sunrise Commander and I can't wait to start playing with it. I missed a good orthodox file manager within emacs, thank you !
>
> I checked emacswiki page about it and downloaded every modules I found there but it seems there is a problem with sunrise-x-popviewer.el
>
> after invoking `emacs -Q', I load sunrise commander with these commands :
>
> (require 'sunrise-commander)
> (require 'sunrise-x-popviewer)
>
> then, I try to start sunrise with `M-x sunrise' and I get the following error :
>
> intern: Wrong type argument: sequencep, left
>
> Anyhow, thanks for your hard work,
>
> --
> Renaud Casenave-Péré

Hello Renaud,

You're right, that happens when you try to run the extension without
byte-compiling it. I didn't notice that because I don't use the
popviewer myself (I'm quite fond of the viewer window at the bottom),
so thanks a lot for reporting the problem, I'll let you know when it's
fixed. In the meantime, if you can, just byte-compile the extension (M-
x byte-compile-file<RET>) and restart your emacs.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com

@ 2009-10-12 13:19     ` Renaud Casenave-Péré
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8595.1255353574.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Renaud Casenave-Péré @ 2009-10-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Alright, byte compiling the files does fix the problem.
I'm not really used to compiling my config files, maybe it's not a good thing, they're starting to be quite big...
Well, it was nothing, but I'm glad I could help.

--
Renaud Casenave-Péré

@ 2009-10-12 18:08       ` José A. Romero L.
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8634.1255376794.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12 Paź, 15:19, Renaud Casenave-Péré <ren...@casenave-pere.fr>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alright, byte compiling the files does fix the problem.
> I'm not really used to compiling my config files, maybe it's not a good thing, they're starting to be quite big...
> Well, it was nothing, but I'm glad I could help.
>
> --
> Renaud Casenave-Péré

Ready. I've just committed version 1R204, which fixes the problem you
reported.

Thanks again for your help. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have
any other problems with Sunrise.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail dot com

@ 2009-10-12 19:46         ` Martin Slouf
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8634.1255376794.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Slouf @ 2009-10-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

sunrise commander seems interesting, unfortunately, after installing (and
compiling) i enabled it with:

- - - - (only to see  which modules are loaded)

(setq my-sunrise-install-dir "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/sunrise")

(defun my-sunrise-init()
    (let ((installation-exists nil))
    (setq installation-exists (file-exists-p my-sunrise-install-dir))
    (if installation-exists
        (progn
                (add-to-list 'load-path my-sunrise-install-dir)
                             (require 'sunrise-commander)
                (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.srvm\\'"
                . sr-virtual-mode))
                (require 'sunrise-x-buttons)
                (require 'sunrise-x-loop)
                (require 'sunrise-x-mirror)
                (require 'sunrise-x-modeline)
                ;; choose this or x-butoons
                ;(require 'sunrise-x-popviewer)
                )
                    (message "Sunrise Commender not supported"))))

(my-sunrise-init)

- - - -

and i get:

sr-advertised-find-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

anytime i choose a file file or directory with ENTER (Open)

m.

@ 2009-10-13  8:12           ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-13  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 12, 21:46, m...@centrum.cz (Martin Slouf) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sunrise commander seems interesting, unfortunately, after installing (and
> compiling) i enabled it with:
(...)

> and i get:
>
> sr-advertised-find-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> anytime i choose a file file or directory with ENTER (Open)

Hello Martin,

That's strange. Could you please answer the following questions?

1) What's your environment? (emacs version, os)
2) What happens when you execute the command "M-x sr-advertised-find-
file <CR>" ?
3) What does "C-h k <CR>" displays when you're inside any of the
panes?

where "<CR>" stands for "carriage return", "return", "enter", or
whatever you call it.

Cheers,
--

@ 2009-10-13 12:57             ` rustom
       [not found]             ` <mailman.8701.1255471208.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rustom @ 2009-10-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry if this is a bit OT...

I tried to add an entry for sunrise commander in the OFM article on
wikipedia.
But it got deleted as vandalism!!

* Re: Sunrise Commander: Mode Line Extension
@ 2009-10-13 17:48               ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct. 13, 14:57, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit OT...
>
> I tried to add an entry for sunrise commander in the OFM article on
> wikipedia.
> But it got deleted as vandalism!!

LOL. Then I guess we got to go underground -- at least until it
dawns ;D

Cheers,
--

@ 2009-10-13 21:59             ` Martin Slouf
       [not found]             ` <mailman.8701.1255471208.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Slouf @ 2009-10-13 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1) What's your environment? (emacs version, os)

M-x emacs-version
GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.6) of 2009-09-14
on nautilus, modified by Debian

$ uname -a # GNU/Debian unstable
Linux rypak 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 22:16:56 UTC 2009 x86_64
GNU/Linux

> 2) What happens when you execute the command "M-x sr-advertised-find-
> file <CR>" ?

M-x sr-advertised-find-file
(snip from *Messages* buffer just right after starting sunrise and doing ad
2.)
Been coding all night? Enjoy the Sunrise! (or press q to quit)
sr-advertised-find-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil [2 times]

> 3) What does "C-h k <CR>" displays when you're inside any of the
> panes?

k runs the command dired-do-kill-lines, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `dired-aux.el'.

It is bound to k.

(dired-do-kill-lines &optional ARG FMT)

... standard Emacs help info continues ...

- - - -

if i just start dired (from *scratch* like (dired "~")) i get normal dired
session and hitting Enter on file or dir just works.

i am not a elisp programmer, but if you will instruct me this way, i can
provide anything you want :-)

Best Regards,
martin

@ 2009-10-13 23:33               ` José A. Romero L.
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.9043.1255859347.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 13 Paź, 23:59, m...@centrum.cz (Martin Slouf) wrote:
(...)
> M-x sr-advertised-find-file
> (snip from *Messages* buffer just right after starting sunrise and doing ad
> 2.)
> Been coding all night? Enjoy the Sunrise! (or press q to quit)
> sr-advertised-find-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil [2 times]

This suggests me that dired output is coming out garbled somehow.
While inside a sunrise pane, with the cursor over the file you want to
visit, try writing this:

    M-S-: (dired-get-filename nil t) <CR>

(where S stands for Shift) does it return nil? (does the word "nil"
appear in the minibuffer?). If so, could you please paste here a few
lines of the contents of your pane?

(...)
> > 3) What does "C-h k <CR>" displays when you're inside any of the
> > panes?
>
> k runs the command dired-do-kill-lines, which is an interactive compiled
> Lisp function in `dired-aux.el'.

Are you sure you didn't do "C-h k k" instead of "C-h k <CR>" here?

(...)
> i am not a elisp programmer, but if you will instruct me this way, i can
> provide anything you want :-)

Your case is actually quite interesting, as I've still never tested
Sunrise on a 64 bit OS. In any case, thanks a lot for your help, it's
really appreciated.

Cheers,
--

@ 2009-10-18  9:48                 ` Martin Slouf
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.9043.1255859347.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Slouf @ 2009-10-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:33:03PM -0700, José A. Romero L. wrote:

> This suggests me that dired output is coming out garbled somehow.
> While inside a sunrise pane, with the cursor over the file you want to
> visit, try writing this:
>
>     M-S-: (dired-get-filename nil t) <CR>

in sunrise buffer, i get nil
in dired buffer, i get the correct filename

> > > 3) What does "C-h k <CR>" displays when you're inside any of the
> > > panes?
> >
> > k runs the command dired-do-kill-lines, which is an interactive compiled
> > Lisp function in `dired-aux.el'.
>
> Are you sure you didn't do "C-h k k" instead of "C-h k <CR>" here?

my mistake, sorry -- for C-h k <Enter> i get manual for one of your
functions:

- - - -

RET (translated from <return>) runs the command sr-advertised-find-file,
which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `sunrise-commander.el'.

It is bound to RET, f.

(sr-advertised-find-file &optional FILENAME)

Manages the two basic cases of file name: directories are open inside Sunrise
  itself, while regular files are passed to  sr-find-file.  A  special  case  of
  directory is when the user presses return, f, or clicks on the path line.

- - - -

@ 2009-10-18 11:55                   ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2009-10-18 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 18, 11:48, m...@centrum.cz (Martin Slouf) wrote:
(...)
>     M-S-: (dired-get-filename nil t) <CR>
>
> in sunrise buffer, i get nil
> in dired buffer, i get the correct filename

Then I bet the version of ls you're using is quite old. If that's the
case you have a choice here:

1) Upgrade the coreutils package in your system by writing in your
command line (as root):

    apt-get install coreutils <CR>

2) Setting the values of two emacs variables: "Sr Listing Switches"
and "Sr Virtual Listing Switches" both to "-alp" in emacs:

    M-x customize-group <CR> sunrise <CR>

This will give you longer views in the Sunrise panes, but at lease
they should work.

Try one of these suggestions (personally I'd recommend the first one)
and let me know how it went.

(...)

> (sr-advertised-find-file &optional FILENAME)
>
> Manages the two basic cases of file name: directories are open inside Sunrise
(...)

This is OK, that's the function that return should execute.

Cheers,