all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I don't understand enriched text
@ 2011-08-04 13:49 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-08-04 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I open test.txt, and put it in enriched mode: M-x enriched-mode

Now I type 'hello world' into the buffer.  Then select the text.

Now how would I, for example, make that text blue?

If I right click, text-properties, 'Face', 'Foreground color', 'Background
color' are all disabled (grayed out).

How does this work?

* Re: I don't understand enriched text
@ 2011-08-04 14:00 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-04 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> I open test.txt, and put it in enriched mode: M-x enriched-mode
>
> Now I type 'hello world' into the buffer.  Then select the text.
>
> Now how would I, for example, make that text blue?

From the menu bar, choose the color with Edit->Text
Properties->Foreground Color->blue and then start typing text.

> If I right click, text-properties, 'Face', 'Foreground color', 'Background
> color' are all disabled (grayed out).

Mark the region and change the face as above.

@ 2011-08-04 14:11   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-08-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, August 04, 2011, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:
> > I open test.txt, and put it in enriched mode: M-x enriched-mode
> >
> > Now I type 'hello world' into the buffer.  Then select the text.
> >
> > Now how would I, for example, make that text blue?
>
> From the menu bar, choose the color with Edit->Text
> Properties->Foreground Color->blue and then start typing text.

But 'Face', 'Foreground Color', and 'Background Color' are all disabled.

@ 2011-08-04 14:17     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, August 04, 2011, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I open test.txt, and put it in enriched mode: M-x enriched-mode
>> >
>> > Now I type 'hello world' into the buffer.  Then select the text.
>> >
>> > Now how would I, for example, make that text blue?
>>
>> From the menu bar, choose the color with Edit->Text
>> Properties->Foreground Color->blue and then start typing text.
>
> But 'Face', 'Foreground Color', and 'Background Color' are all disabled.

May be it has something to do with the major mode of the buffer. What
does

M-: mode-name

report.

Try switching to Fundamental Mode or Text Mode before turning on the
enriched mode.

@ 2011-08-04 14:24       ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2011-08-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, August 04, 2011, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> >> From the menu bar, choose the color with Edit->Text
> >> Properties->Foreground Color->blue and then start typing text.
> >
> > But 'Face', 'Foreground Color', and 'Background Color' are all disabled.
>
> May be it has something to do with the major mode of the buffer. What
> does
>
> M-: mode-name
>
> report.
>
> Try switching to Fundamental Mode or Text Mode before turning on the
> enriched mode.

Ahah!  I have

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.txt$" . rst-mode)
		("\\.rst$" . rst-mode)
		("\\.rest$" . rst-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

So major-mode was rst.  If I set to txt mode first, then it works as you
described.  Thanks.

* RE: I don't understand enriched text
@ 2011-08-04 15:06       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-08-04 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jambunathan K', 'Neal Becker'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Maybe it has something to do with the major mode of the buffer.
> Try switching to Fundamental Mode or Text Mode before turning on the
> enriched mode.

Yes, enriched mode does not play well with font-locking, in general.  You can
either switch to a different major mode, as Jambunathan suggested, or turn off
font-lock-mode: `M-x font-lock-mode'.

You might also want to check out
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FaceMenuPlus.