all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cieluv <-> rgb conversion
@ 2009-07-31 22:20 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-31 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs help

Anyone have algorithms in elisp for color conversions cieluv <-> rgb?

* RE: cieluv <-> rgb conversion
@ 2009-07-31 22:45 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-31 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'emacs help'

> Anyone have algorithms in elisp for color conversions cieluv <-> rgb?

Dunno. But HSV is perhaps close enough? If so:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hexrgb.el

Even if not, you can probably adapt the code there by adapting the HSV <-> RGB
conversion algorithms.

* Re: cieluv <-> rgb conversion
@ 2009-07-31 22:48   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-31 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs help

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Drew Adams<drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Anyone have algorithms in elisp for color conversions cieluv <-> rgb?
>
> Dunno. But HSV is perhaps close enough? If so:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hexrgb.el
>
> Even if not, you can probably adapt the code there by adapting the HSV <-> RGB
> conversion algorithms.

Thanks, but I am looking for a color representation where you could
easily measure the color difference as we see them as humans. CIE Luv
is one such that seems good.

* RE: cieluv <-> rgb conversion
@ 2009-07-31 23:07     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-31 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Lennart Borgman'; +Cc: 'emacs help'

> >> Anyone have algorithms in elisp for color conversions
> >> cieluv <-> rgb?
> >
> > Dunno. But HSV is perhaps close enough? If so:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hexrgb.el
> >
> > Even if not, you can probably adapt the code there by
> > adapting the HSV <-> RGB conversion algorithms.
>
> Thanks, but I am looking for a color representation where you could
> easily measure the color difference as we see them as humans. CIE Luv
> is one such that seems good.

1. I didn't suggest using a different color representation from CIE Luv (but see
#2).

What I tried to suggest was to find a CIE Luv <-> RGB conversion algorithm on
the Web, and then adapt the code in hexrgb.el to use that algorithm. I'm
guessing that any such algorithm wouldn't be too different from HSV <-> RGB. And
hexrgb.el handles the rest, beyond the basic conversion.

2. Are you sure CIE Luv is well suited to use with a CRT or LCD screen? Human
color perception is one thing; what screens emit is another thing.

Anyway, I'm no expert on this. Good luck.