all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building emacs 23 for RHEL5
@ 2011-05-12 18:58 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2011-05-12 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to upgrade my existing emacs 21 to 23.

This is Linux RHEL5, 32-bit Intel.

When I build, I get:

~~~~~~~~~

configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
     libXpm libjpeg libpng libgif/libungif libtiff
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
If you don't want to link with them give
     --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no

~~~~~~~~~

When I compile without them, emacs runs but is really ugly, fonts
are wrong, menus don't pop up,, etc.

I tried to install xpm-devel, but wound up in the usual bottomless pit
of missing dependencies.

Is there an rpm for emacs-23 that I can just install that includes
everything it needs?

* Re: Building emacs 23 for RHEL5
@ 2011-05-12 20:37 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2011-05-12 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Following up my own post, I installed the development libraries for xpm,
png, gif, and tiff.  I then compiled from source.  No change.

What I see is that:

The menu bar (File, Edit ...) is in a very flat, Courier typeface.
Menus don't nest.  They display a > character that has to be cliecked to
display the next menu.

The tool bar is black and grey, not colored.

C-left mouse or S-left mouse again brings up flat, Courier menus that do
not nest.

The "about" screen does display the graphical emacs logo.

What did I miss?

~~~~~~~~

emacs 21, which was preinstalled from a yum repository, looks fine.

@ 2011-05-12 21:24   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-05-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.05.2011 um 22:37 schrieb Ken Goldman:

> What did I miss?

You need to re-configure after you've installed some missing pieces.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: Building emacs 23 for RHEL5
@ 2011-05-16 17:54   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-05-16 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I would guess that you have built a version with no X-toolkit, so it is
falling back to some old internal implementation. Check the end of
configure's output, where it says what features Emacs will be built
with: "What toolkit should Emacs use?" Also check for the image support here.

It sounds like your systems is/was missing a lot of development
libraries. Try:

yum install gtk2 gtk2-devel glib2 glib2-devel

and re-configure.