all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with loading emacs version 21.4 (UNCLASSIFIED)
@ 2007-03-19 14:23 Tran, Catherine T CIV DISA GES-E
From: Tran, Catherine T CIV DISA GES-E @ 2007-03-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello,

I recently installed emacs on Solaris server, and set up VNC server to
view the content remotely. From my VNC session I can invoke xclock and
xterm, but when invoking emacs '%emacs &' it gave me the following mesg:

emacs: standard input is not a tty

I suspect this has little to do with VNC or the DISPLAY variable since
xclock and xterm show up fine. During emacs installation, configuring
emacs make environment,

./configure --with-x=yes or --with-X11

I got the following (config.log also indicates errors due missing some
header files):

 What window system should Emacs use?                    none
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   No

>From searching around, I am guessing some Solaris packages are missing
from the OS installation -- perhaps ones that are linked to openWindow
or X11 or x11R6???.  If this is true, any idea on which package I should
'pkgadd -d' ?
The other question is: am I using the right emacs version to expect a
window display on Solaris?  There is a question of whther or not I have
to use xemacs.  Appreciate your help.

Regards,

-Catherine
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

* Re: Problem with loading emacs version 21.4 (UNCLASSIFIED)
@ 2007-03-19 21:12 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-19 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tran, Catherine T CIV DISA GES-E; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.03.2007 um 15:23 schrieb Tran, Catherine T CIV DISA GES-E:

> If this is true, any idea on which package I should 'pkgadd -d' ?

At least

	SUNWxwhl SUNWxwinc

are needed to satisfy X11 support.

These bring support for additional graphics formats, the latter
packages contains the libraries:

	SUNWjpg-devel-share  SUNWjpg-devel  SUNWjpg
	SUNWpng-devel-share  SUNWpng-devel  SUNWpng
	SUNWTiff-devel-share SUNWTiff-devel SUNWTiff

Could be

	SUNWxwplt SUNWxwrtl

are also needed for other graphics files formats support (XPM), just
another add-on.

You could have mentioned the version of Solaris. I am referring to
Solaris 10.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.