all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Handling of commits in emacs-23 branch and trunk.
@ 2010-07-14  7:47 Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-07-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hello.

Now that trunk ia ANSI-C-ified, how shall emacs-23 commits that change
prototypes or add functions be handeled?  Shall we put them in emacs-23 with
P__ + K&R and then fix them in trunk when they get merged there, or just
convert to ANSI-C in emacs-23 also?

	Jan D.

* Re: Handling of commits in emacs-23 branch and trunk.
@ 2010-07-14  8:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:47:00 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
>
> Now that trunk ia ANSI-C-ified, how shall emacs-23 commits that change
> prototypes or add functions be handeled?  Shall we put them in emacs-23 with
> P__ + K&R and then fix them in trunk when they get merged there, or just
> convert to ANSI-C in emacs-23 also?

I think the former (i.e. K&R).  These new functions will then need to
be converted to ANSI C when merged to the trunk.  Anything else means
more pain during the merge from emacs-23 to the trunk.

But please wait for Stefan and Yidong to respond.

* Re: Handling of commits in emacs-23 branch and trunk.
@ 2010-07-14 15:27 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-07-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Now that trunk ia ANSI-C-ified, how shall emacs-23 commits that change
> prototypes or add functions be handeled?  Shall we put them in
> emacs-23 with P__ + K&R and then fix them in trunk when they get
> merged there, or just convert to ANSI-C in emacs-23 also?

Add new functions as standard C, there's already a few like that in
emacs-23, so it's impossible to compile with a K&R compiler, so using
K&R will just generate more work when merging to the trunk.
If a function definition/declaration changes, convert it to standard C.

* Re: Handling of commits in emacs-23 branch and trunk.
@ 2010-07-14 17:56   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-07-14 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I still have to make Gtk+ 3 fixes in the trunk so I went ahead and used old style.

    Jan D.

@ 2010-07-23 13:44 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-07-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Now that trunk ia ANSI-C-ified, how shall emacs-23 commits that change
> prototypes or add functions be handeled?

The switch to ANSI C was done in Emacs-23 already.  All that happened
recently is to actively change old code to use the new ANSI syntax, but
Emacs-23 already uses the ANSI syntax in various places.
I.e. all new code in all branches should use ANSI syntax.