all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 22: bind keymappings with cyrrilics to corresponding latin keymappings?
@ 2007-10-28 14:29 cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2007-10-28 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I enjoy Emacs 22.1 under Debian. My locale is UTF-8, and I use qwerty/
йцукен keyboard layouts.

Recently I began to feel irritated that Emacs ignores keymappings when
I am at cyrrilic layout. For example, I enter some russian text in say
LaTeX mode and want to refill paragraph. So I need to switch to latin
layout, hit M-q, and switch back to continue typing. If I just hit M-q
while at cyrrilic layout, Emacs says she doesn't know how to handle M-
й. Well, that has logic, but slows me down big time.

Is there a way to map *all* the [latin] keymappings to corresponding
"cyrrilic" ones, so C-ч-C-а is C-x-C-f, C-л is C-k and so on? Any help
greatly appreciated.

Andrey

* Re: Emacs 22: bind keymappings with cyrrilics to corresponding latin keymappings?
@ 2007-10-28 18:02 ` Xah Lee
       [not found] ` <mailman.2680.1193595620.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2007-10-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i'm thinking that at most you just have to do about 26x2=52 lines of
keymap code?

i.e.

(global-set-key (kbd "C-Þ C-Á") 'find-file)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-Ì") 'kill-line)

i don't know if there's a easy systematic way... but i'm guessing
manually doing the above is probably easier than hacking up a
systematic way...

as you migt know, C-h k lets you find out the command of a given
shortcut.
C-h f tells you the shortcuts of a given command.

The following might be convenient:

• Emacs's Keybinding Layout
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kb_shortcuts.html

• How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts in Emacs
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/

@ 2007-10-28 18:20 ` Oleg Katsitadze
       [not found] ` <mailman.2680.1193595620.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleg Katsitadze @ 2007-10-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmr.Pent@gmail.com; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 02:29:41PM -0000, cmr.Pent@gmail.com wrote:
> If I just hit M-q while at cyrrilic layout, Emacs says she doesn't
> know how to handle M-й.

You should setup and use Emacs's input methods, instead of X Window
keyboard layouts or console key maps.  Take a look at the
"International Character Set Support" section of the manual.

For example (in your .emacs):

,----
| (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
`----

If you are intending to use CP1251, also

,----
| (codepage-setup 1251)
`----

Also take a look at set-language-environment.

Cheers,
Oleg

@ 2007-10-28 18:59   ` cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2007-10-28 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Xah, but I indeed want a systematic way, because I want to be
able to use *all* the shortcuts.

Thanks Oleg, I think I will try your solution. The problem is that I
wanted to switch the layout consistently in all applications...

Hm, just a thought: what if rebind CapsLock in Emacs so it uses its
own switcher?.. I'll report if it is possible!

@ 2007-10-28 19:06     ` cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2007-10-28 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28 окт, 21:59, "cmr.P...@gmail.com" <cmr.P...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm, just a thought: what if rebind CapsLock in Emacs so it uses its
> own switcher?.. I'll report if it is possible!

Ahh, Emacs doesn't recognize CapsLock :-(

@ 2007-10-28 21:50       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmr.Pent; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.10.2007 um 20:06 schrieb cmr.Pent@gmail.com:

> Ahh, Emacs doesn't recognize CapsLock :-(

But xmodmap can map CapsLock to some modifier key ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.