To be clear - I'm arguing against rolling releases, just pointing out they require a bit of due diligence on their maintainers part. But if someone requested this explicitly I guess we can assume they know what they are doing. On Wed, Oct 26, 2022, at 8:58 AM, Payas Relekar wrote: > I'd say this approach is quite feasible, there are even popular GNU/Linux > distributions out there who don't do big timely releases, but have > rolling package updates, one of them I've been using for years with zero > issues. > > This generally relies upon development and deployment being supportive > of it. > > Some developers prefer to do development in separate branches. Git makes > this cheap and easy to the point of being free. When features/bug fixes > are good enough they can be safely merged to master with little to no > effort. Emacs itself does this quite often for big features > (native-comp, pgtk, tree-sitter). This way master is almost guaranteed > to be 'green'. > > IMO the status quo is a good default, but having an option of rolling > updates is good for developers that follow branched development. > > "Bozhidar Batsov" writes: > > > Instead of setting version numbers manually (e.g. 0.1, 0.2) upon release time, > > with rolling releases every change (commit) pushed upstream results > > automatically in a new release and a version bump, with the version being a > > timestamp. E.g. if I push 3 commits one day with some time between them this > > will result in 3 releases. I think it's a great approach for snapshot (devel) > > repos, but I'm not so sure about "stable" repos, as it kinda of implies that the > > author will never have their project in an inconsistent state (e.g. halfway > > towards a new feature). > > > > This approach was made popular by https://melpa.org/ > > > > On Tue, Oct 25, 2022, at 11:14 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > >> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > >> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > >> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > >> > >> > I have heard from people who prefer a rolling release model for their > >> > packages, > >> > >> Can you explain what that means, concretely? How is t different from > >> what we do now? > >> > >> and requested that their packages not be added for {Non,}GNU > >> > ELPA if they would have to update the version header manually, > >> > presumably on every commit. > >> > >> Is this something we would _want_ to do? What would its implications > >> be for Emacs? > >> > >> We might decide to support their style of release, or decide not to > >> include their packages in NonGNU ELPA, or we might come up with > >> another solution. I don't know what's best. But I'm sure we should > >> think about that before we decide. > >> > >> > >> -- > >> Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org) > >> Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org) > >> Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org) > >> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org) > >> > >> > >> > >> > > -- >