all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
@ 2010-12-07  0:12 Stefano Sabatini
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1291715406.17509.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefano Sabatini @ 2010-12-07  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi all,

most default buttons on the toolbar are quite useless to me since all
the corresponding functions correspond to key-bindings I already know
by heart.

So I'd like to customize them to make it dependant on the major mode
I'm in, e.g. in C-programming mode it would be useful to have some
button for hiding/showing functions. I also wonder if I necessarily
need to have an icon for each button, or if it is possible to assign a
text label instead (or any combination of them).

Another unrelated question: when I run describe-mode a new buffer is
shown. If there is just one buffer it is split and the *Help* buffer
is shown on the right side of the active buffer. If there are more
than one active buffers the *Help* buffer is opened on one of the
existing buffer, which is quite annoying since it may cover some
buffer on which I'm working (and which I want to stay visible). So I
wonder how I am supposed to customize the logic for showing the *Help*
buffer given the current layout (e.g. a possibility would be to open a
new frame, or always creating a new buffer without to steal visibility
to an active buffer).

My emacs (today BZR version):
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2010-12-06 on arborea

Best regards, emacs forever.
--
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

* Re: How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
@ 2010-12-07  9:48 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1291715406.17509.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-07  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw

Am 07.12.2010 um 01:12 schrieb Stefano Sabatini:

> Another unrelated question: when I run describe-mode a new buffer is
> shown. If there is just one buffer it is split and the *Help* buffer
> is shown on the right side of the active buffer. If there are more
> than one active buffers the *Help* buffer is opened on one of the
> existing buffer, which is quite annoying since it may cover some
> buffer on which I'm working (and which I want to stay visible).

Create an extra *Help* frame for the *Help* buffer and invoke help
functions there.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it
doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito

* Re: How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
@ 2010-12-07 18:55   ` stefasab
From: stefasab @ 2010-12-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw

In data Tuesday 2010-12-07 10:48:16 +0100, Peter Dyballa ha scritto:

> Am 07.12.2010 um 01:12 schrieb Stefano Sabatini:
>
> >Another unrelated question: when I run describe-mode a new buffer is
> >shown. If there is just one buffer it is split and the *Help* buffer
> >is shown on the right side of the active buffer. If there are more
> >than one active buffers the *Help* buffer is opened on one of the
> >existing buffer, which is quite annoying since it may cover some
> >buffer on which I'm working (and which I want to stay visible).
>

> Create an extra *Help* frame for the *Help* buffer and invoke help
> functions there.

The extra frame is what I'd like to avoid, may ECB help in this area?

Also for what regards the toolbar, is it possible to customize it *at
all*? (I know at least in XEmacs this is possible, it this one of the
areas where Emacs/XEmacs diverge?)
--
"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order"
		-- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"

* Re: How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
@ 2010-12-07 23:12     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-07 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw

Am 07.12.2010 um 19:55 schrieb stefasab:

> The extra frame is what I'd like to avoid, may ECB help in this area?
>
> Also for what regards the toolbar, is it possible to customize it *at
> all*?

I don't know.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and
wise as a man's head.

* Re: How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
       [not found] <mailman.7.1291680883.16197.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-10 17:33 ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-12-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> most default buttons on the toolbar are quite useless to me since all
> the corresponding functions correspond to key-bindings I already know
> by heart.
>
> So I'd like to customize them to make it dependant on the major mode

i'm not saying that's una passeggiata di salute, but some packages,
among others i cite gnus and ediff, install their custom toolbars,
and you have the sources...

ciao

@ 2010-12-12 22:21 ` giacomo boffi
From: giacomo boffi @ 2010-12-12 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab@gmail.com> writes:

> So I'd like to customize

hi Stefano, gnus and ediff (among others) do customize the toolbar,
happy stealing

--
non ho capito un apascio                           -- pp, tra se e se

* Re: How to configure the emacs tool-bar and other misc questions
       [not found]       ` <a3a00abe-1e09-469f-b02e-7d3ab6c966a9@n32g2000pre.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-01-19  2:28         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-19  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1. Start emacs as emacs -Q
> 2. C-x 5 *Help*
> (New frame called *Help* opens and is active)
> 3. Switch back to original (*scratch*) frame
> 4. C-h m
> (This (*scratch*) frame splits and the help that appears in the lower
> half also appears in the other frame

You can fix it by adding

  (setq display-buffer-reuse-frames t)

in your .emacs.  If you think this should be the default behavior, then
say so via M-x report-emacs-bug.