all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: how do I save a region to file?
@ 2010-11-11 18:16 Phaustus
From: Phaustus @ 2010-11-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would just like to know the shortest key sequence that can be
used to save the currently-selected region to a file.  A bit like C-x i,
except in reverse.

Thanks,

Ph

* RE: how do I save a region to file?
@ 2010-11-11 22:51 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-11-11 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Phaustus', help-gnu-emacs

> I would just like to know the shortest key sequence that can be
> used to save the currently-selected region to a file.

M-x write-region.

(M-x apropos is your friend.)

* Re: how do I save a region to file?
       [not found] ` <jwvk4kjmod6.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>
@ 2010-11-12  1:04   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-11-12  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 12, 4:29 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > I would just like to know the shortest key sequence that can be
> > used to save the currently-selected region to a file.  A bit like C-x i,
> > except in reverse.
>
> M-x wr-r RET
>
>         Stefan "who actually has code that finds this for you"

Some new kind of completion here - whats the hyphen?

  Rusi "who after 20 years emacs usage remains a noob"

* How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2010-11-12  6:02 ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-11-12  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using emacs-snapshot for a while for anti-aliasing support.
But now since emacs itself supports anti-aliasing fonts, I'm now
left with a dilemma, which one to use.
So next I went to find proof of which is latest and bleeding edge.
and saw the version. emacs-snapshot is of course the
latest(23.1.50.1)
but uses the old GTK+ (2.18.0) version. The emacs package
version is older (23.1.1) but uses a newer GTK+ (2.20.0) version.
Can someone provide the pros and cons of each and which
one might be better to use ?

Thanks.

* Re: how do I save a region to file?
@ 2010-11-12 12:33     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-11-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 12, 4:29 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> > I would just like to know the shortest key sequence that can be
>> > used to save the currently-selected region to a file.  A bit like C-x i,
>> > except in reverse.
>>
>> M-x wr-r RET
>>
>>         Stefan "who actually has code that finds this for you"
>
> Some new kind of completion here - whats the hyphen?

Yes, emacs-23 completion has been improved, and it's very nice.

>   Rusi "who after 20 years emacs usage remains a noob"

The target is big, but it's moving fast! :-)

* Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2010-11-12 18:58   ` Nerius Landys
From: Nerius Landys @ 2010-11-12 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maindoor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I use emacs23-nox.  It runs in a terminal, but you get the antialiasing from
the terminal it's running in.
I actually find the full emacs GUI to be very annoying.

@ 2010-11-12 22:58     ` Dmitriy Igrishin
From: Dmitriy Igrishin @ 2010-11-12 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nerius Landys; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hey all,

I use 23.2 compiled by myself. Works just fine.

--
// Dmitriy.

* Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2010-11-13 14:34   ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2010-11-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> |But now since emacs itself supports anti-aliasing fonts, I'm now    |
> |left with a dilemma, which one to use.                              |
> |So next I went to find proof of which is latest and bleeding edge.  |
> |and saw the version. emacs-snapshot is of course the                |
> |latest(23.1.50.1)                                                   |
> |but uses the old GTK+ (2.18.0) version. The emacs package           |
> |version is older (23.1.1) but uses a newer GTK+ (2.20.0) version.   |
> |Can someone provide the pros and cons of each and which             |
> |one might be better to use ?                                        |

The difference between 23.1.50.1 and 23.1.1 are unlikely to be
noticeable to you unless you already have a specific problem with
23.1.1. Similarly, I don't think you'd notice any difference between
GTK+ 2.18.0 and 2.20.0. Just pick one.

If you are really concerned about using the bleeding edge, you can get
the latest development version here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/

It's not too difficult to compile it from source yourself, and it seems
to work just fine. The latest version is somewhere beyond 24.0.50.1 (I
haven't updated in a few weeks).

Cheers,

Tyler

* Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2010-11-13 14:35     ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2010-11-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com> writes:

> I use emacs23-nox.  It runs in a terminal, but you get the
> antialiasing from the terminal it's running in.
> I actually find the full emacs GUI to be very annoying.

If you don't like the GUI features of the GTK emacs, you can turn them
off. I have the following in my .emacs:

(menu-bar-mode -1)
(fringe-mode 1)

and I've disabled the toolbar-mode and scroll-bar-mode using the
customize-variable stuff. This gets rid of all the GUI distractions, but
you can still use the alt/meta key, which is tricky to do with emacs-nox
(at least it was tricky to me last time I tried to do so).

Tyler

* RE: how do I save a region to file?
@ 2010-12-10  3:58 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-10  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Phaustus', help-gnu-emacs

> I would just like to know the shortest key sequence that can be
> used to save the currently-selected region to a file.

Answer: The shortest key sequence that you want to sacrifice to `write-region'.

Personally, I use a command `region-to-file', which does `write-region' or, with
a prefix arg, `append-to-file'.  I bind it to `C-x M-f' (which doesn't win
awards for shortness, but is fine for a command I don't use super often).  It's
here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/misc-cmds.el.

* Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
@ 2010-12-15  4:34       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-12-15  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/13/10 7:35 AM, Tyler Smith wrote:
> If you don't like the GUI features of the GTK emacs, you can turn them
> off. I have the following in my .emacs:
>
> (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (fringe-mode 1)
>
> and I've disabled the toolbar-mode and scroll-bar-mode using the
> customize-variable stuff. This gets rid of all the GUI distractions, but
> you can still use the alt/meta key, which is tricky to do with emacs-nox
> (at least it was tricky to me last time I tried to do so).

 From etc/PROBLEMS:

    ... you might also want to consider
    switching off scroll bars, menu bar, and tool bar.  Adding the
    following forms to your .emacs file will accomplish that, but only
    after the the initial frame is displayed:

     (scroll-bar-mode -1)
     (menu-bar-mode -1)
     (tool-bar-mode -1)

    For still quicker startup, put these X resources in your .Xdefaults
    file:

     Emacs.verticalScrollBars: off
     Emacs.menuBar: off
     Emacs.toolBar: off

But I haven't been able to find out how to turn off fringe mode via X
resources -- is that a missing feature or a documentation bug?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA