all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 20.4, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-18 22:52 Wayne S.
From: Wayne S. @ 2010-08-18 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't seem to create multiple SQLi buffers anymore.

    M-x sql-mysql
    M-x sql-rename-buffer
    M-x sql-mysql

used to create a second SQLi buffer.  Now the second sql-mysql
puts me into the first (and only) SQLi buffer, even though it's
been renamed (i.e., is no longer named "*SQL*").  Is there some
other way to do this now?  Thanks.

sql-mode:
Version: 2.5
(from http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/blob/HEAD:/lisp/progmodes/sql.el)

Emacs:
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12)
of 2010-06-16 on elegiac, modified by Debian
(prebuilt emacs-snapshot 1:20100612-1~lenny1
from http://emacs.orebokech.com/)

--
    Wayne

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 20.4, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19  9:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-19  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: wstewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2010 um 00:52 schrieb Wayne S.:

> Is there some other way to do this now?

Does

	C-u M-x sql-mysql

work?

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 20.4, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19 15:35   ` Wayne S
From: Wayne S @ 2010-08-19 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    PD> Does
    PD> 	C-u M-x sql-mysql
    PD> work?

No.  Same behavior as without 'C-u'.

--

@ 2010-08-19 16:13     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: wstewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2010 um 17:35 schrieb Wayne S:

>    PD> Does
>    PD> 	C-u M-x sql-mysql
>    PD> work?
>
> No.  Same behavior as without 'C-u'.

Then the problem might be that the SQLi software contacts the database
at one fixed port number/address. If that's true, then the database
can't decide whether to send output to this or to that shell...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s²

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 20.4, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19 16:30       ` Wayne S
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1282238235.19082.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wayne S @ 2010-08-19 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    PD> Does C-u M-x sql-mysql work?
    >>
    >> No.  Same behavior as without 'C-u'.
    >>

    PD> Then the problem might be that the SQLi software contacts the
    PD> database at one fixed port number/address. If that's true,
    PD> then the database can't decide whether to send output to this
    PD> or to that shell...

Thanks, Peter.

Nothing's changed on the MySQL side, and this behavior started when
I upgraded emacs 20.3 to 20.4 (from emacs.orebokech.com).  I then
downloaded the latest sql.el (2.5 from http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git)
to make sure the problem wasn't already fixed before posting.

--
    Wayne

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 24.0, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19 16:49       ` Wayne S
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1282238235.19082.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wayne S @ 2010-08-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

WS> I upgraded emacs 20.3 to 20.4 (from emacs.orebokech.com).  I then

Whoops!  Make that emacs 23.x -> 24.0.

--

@ 2010-08-19 18:57         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-19 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: wstewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2010 um 18:49 schrieb Wayne S:

> Whoops!  Make that emacs 23.x -> 24.0.

This can explain the failure. Since you are *not* using a stable
version, things simply can just fail to work. Particularly when it's
"external" code, code from outside the GNU Emacs distribution.
Besides, there was a period in this GNU Emacs code in development when
it did not work for me to create to create another instance on a
*compilation* buffer – you just might be running the code from that
period!

One option is to update the code, a second one is to read the
documentation of the SQLi package and, when this proves that you are
observing a bug, that it's not possible to open two sessions, to send
a bug report to the developers, those of GNU Emacs 24.0.50 and those
of the SQLi package, if its external Elisp code. (See Help menu ->
Send Bug Report…)

--
Greetings

   Pete

A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away.
				– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 20.4, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19 19:00         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: wstewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2010 um 18:30 schrieb Wayne S:

> Nothing's changed on the MySQL side, and this behavior started when
> I upgraded emacs 20.3 to 20.4 (from emacs.orebokech.com).  I then
> downloaded the latest sql.el (2.5 from http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git)
> to make sure the problem wasn't already fixed before posting.

Inside the GNU Emacs 24.0.50 code is sql.el with version #2.5... (in
lisp/progmodes)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish,
and you've depleted the lake.

* Re: Multiple SQLi buffers? (Emacs 24.0, sql-mode 2.5)
@ 2010-08-19 19:18           ` Wayne S
From: Wayne S @ 2010-08-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    PD> Am 19.08.2010 um 18:49 schrieb Wayne S:

    >> Whoops!  Make that emacs 23.x -> 24.0.

    PD> This can explain the failure. Since you are *not* using a
    PD> stable version, things simply can just fail to
    PD> work. Particularly when it's "external" code, code from
    PD> outside the GNU Emacs distribution.  Besides, there was a
    PD> period in this GNU Emacs code in development when it did not
    PD> work for me to create to create another instance on a
    PD> *compilation* buffer   you just might be running the code from
    PD> that period!

    PD> One option is to update the code, a second one is to read the
    PD> documentation of the SQLi package and, when this proves that
    PD> you are observing a bug, that it's not possible to open two
    PD> sessions, to send a bug report to the developers, those of GNU
    PD> Emacs 24.0.50 and those of the SQLi package, if its external
    PD> Elisp code. (See Help menu -> Send Bug Report…)

Yes, I was using the orebokech prebuilt distro to avoid having
to build emacs for Debian myself.  I'll try to build it from
official 24.0 sources (w/ Debian-specific patches) and see if
the issue persists.  If so, I'll post to bug-gnu-emacs instead
of help-gnu-emacs.

Vielen Dank.

--

@ 2010-08-19 22:30         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-08-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Wayne S <wstewart@marchex.com> writes:

> WS> I upgraded emacs 20.3 to 20.4 (from emacs.orebokech.com).  I then
>
> Whoops!  Make that emacs 23.x -> 24.0.

Note that there has been a number of changes in the sql-mode bundled
with emacs 24. In particular, MySQL connections can now use a port and
hyou can define multiple connection 'names'.

My guess would be that these changes have affected that old behavior. It
could well be a bug or it could be that a different procedure is now
required to do what you want. One way to work around the problem could
be to define different connection names for connecting to the same
database and see if that works.

I would recommend logging a bug report. Either it is a bug or a new
procedure has been adopted. In either case, logging the bug report will
highlight the bug or a lack of clarity in documentation if a new
procedure is now required.

Check the NEWS file. In particular,

*** Added ability to login with a port on MySQL.
The custom variable `sql-port' can be specified for connection to
MySQL servers.

*** Added `sql-connection-alist' to record login parameter values.
An alist for recording different username, database and server
values.  If there are multiple databases that you connect to the
parameters needed can be stored in this alist.

For example, the following might be set in the user's init.el:

  (setq sql-connection-alist
        '((dev (sql-product 'sqlite)
               (sql-database "/home/mmaug/dev.db"))
          (prd (sql-product 'oracle)
               (sql-user "mmaug")
               (sql-database "iprd2a"))))

This defines two connections named "dev" and "prd".

*** Added `sql-connect' to use predefined connections.
Sets the login parameters based on the values in the
`sql-connection-alist' and start a SQL interactive session.  Any
values specified in the connection will not be prompted for.

In the example above, if the user were to invoke M-x sql-connect, they
would be prompted for the connection.  The user can respond with
either "dev" or "prd".  The "dev" connection would connect to the
SQLite database without prompting; the "prd" connection would prompt
for the users password and then connect to the Oracle database.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au