all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient -t inside Emacs terminal
@ 2010-03-02 21:51 Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2010-03-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

emacsclient.c contains a test for TERM being equal to "eterm" and
refuses to open a frame in this case. I wonder what is the purpose of
this? Calling "emacsclient -t" (to another Emacs) inside an Emacs
terminal seems to work quite well.

Besides, emacsclient doesn't test for "eterm-color" which is used as
terminal type in recent Emacs versions. So the test isn't even
effective.

Ulrich

* Re: emacsclient -t inside Emacs terminal
@ 2010-03-03 19:59 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-03-03 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> emacsclient.c contains a test for TERM being equal to "eterm" and
> refuses to open a frame in this case. I wonder what is the purpose of
> this?

From admin/notes/multi-tty

   emacsclient -t from an Emacs term buffer does not work, complains
   about face problems. This can even lock up Emacs (if the recursive
   frame sets single_kboard). Update: the face problems are caused by
   bugs in term.el, not in multi-tty. The lockup is caused by
   single_kboard mode, and is not easily resolvable. The best thing to
   do is to simply refuse to create a tty frame of type `eterm'.

   (Fixed, changed emacsclient to check for TERM=eterm.  The face
   complaints seem to be caused by bugs in term.el; they are not
   related to multi-tty.)

* Re: emacsclient -t inside Emacs terminal
@ 2010-03-03 20:17   ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2010-03-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> emacsclient.c contains a test for TERM being equal to "eterm" and
>> refuses to open a frame in this case. I wonder what is the purpose
>> of this?

>> From admin/notes/multi-tty

>    emacsclient -t from an Emacs term buffer does not work, complains
>    about face problems. This can even lock up Emacs (if the recursive
>    frame sets single_kboard). Update: the face problems are caused by
>    bugs in term.el, not in multi-tty. The lockup is caused by
>    single_kboard mode, and is not easily resolvable. The best thing to
>    do is to simply refuse to create a tty frame of type `eterm'.

I don't observe any face problems or lockups, it works beautifully
here. Maybe that note is outdated?

And why "recursive frame"? Did they try to connect to the _same_ Emacs
where the terminal emulator was running?

@ 2010-03-04  2:54     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-03-04  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

> And why "recursive frame"? Did they try to connect to the _same_ Emacs
> where the terminal emulator was running?

Yes, that's the crux of the matter.