all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gud settings
@ 2009-12-27 17:07 andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-12-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was trying to use gud (I need at least gdb and pdb) but I'm not able
to abilitate the multi-window setting.

I've set up the variables
(setq gdb-many-windows t)
(setq gdb-show-main t)

But nothing, I only see one buffer...
I've found many nice things on the net but I'm not able to get even the
basic things working..

* Re: gud settings
@ 2009-12-27 17:15 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I was trying to use gud (I need at least gdb and pdb) but I'm not able
> to abilitate the multi-window setting.
>
> I've set up the variables
>

> (setq gdb-many-windows t)
> (setq gdb-show-main t)
>

> But nothing, I only see one buffer...
> I've found many nice things on the net but I'm not able to get even the
> basic things working..

How to you start gdb?

I start debugging a C program "files" like this for instance:-

gdb --annotate=3 files

regards

r.

* gud settings
@ 2009-12-27 23:41 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-12-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea.crotti.0; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I was trying to use gud (I need at least gdb and pdb) but I'm not able
 > to abilitate the multi-window setting.

gdb-many-windows only works with M-x gdb

 > I've set up the variables
 > (setq gdb-many-windows t)
 > (setq gdb-show-main t)
 >
 > But nothing, I only see one buffer...
 > I've found many nice things on the net but I'm not able to get even the
 > basic things working..

You give no clues, not even the version of Emacs that you are using.  It must be at least
Emacs 22.1 and you mustn't delete the option "--annotate=3" from:

Run gdb (like this): gdb --annotate=3 myprog

I suggest you read the section on "Debuggers" in the Emacs manual.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob

* Re: gud settings
@ 2009-12-28  9:51   ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-12-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:

>  > I was trying to use gud (I need at least gdb and pdb) but I'm not able
>  > to abilitate the multi-window setting.
>
> gdb-many-windows only works with M-x gdb You give no clues, not even
> the version of Emacs that you are using.  It must be at least Emacs
> 22.1 and you mustn't delete the option "--annotate=3" from:
>
> Run gdb (like this): gdb --annotate=3 myprog
>
> I suggest you read the section on "Debuggers" in the Emacs manual.

Yes you're right sorry I wasn't very clear.
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1
(i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54) of 2009-09-16 on
neutron.local

I've normally used gnu-gdb because simply gdb didn't work, I get this
error now running *gdb --annotate=3 myprog*:

\x1a\x1aerror-begin
Undefined command: "9-break-list".  Try "help".
\x1a\x1aerror
\x1a\x1apre-prompt
       \x1a\x1aprompt

* Re: gud settings
@ 2009-12-28 11:39     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-12-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Yes you're right sorry I wasn't very clear.
 > GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1
 > (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54) of 2009-09-16 on
 > neutron.local

I think this version uses GDB/MI, so if you've just created an executable
myprog, say, should start like this:

Run gdb (like this): gdb -i=mi myprog

 > I've normally used gnu-gdb because simply gdb didn't work, I get this
                      ^^^^^^^
gud-gdb?

 > error now running *gdb --annotate=3 myprog*:

 > \x1a\x1aerror-begin
 > Undefined command: "9-break-list".  Try "help".
 > \x1a\x1aerror
 > \x1a\x1apre-prompt
 >        \x1a\x1aprompt

You must have customized something, or have old lisp files (gdb-ui.el) in your
load-path.

Try emacs -Q and then M-x gdb.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob