all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff to combine A and B
@ 2015-01-16  9:50 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2015-01-16  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

somebody can help? I'm using ediff with ORG files quite often. Usually
any writing into journal.org results in merge conflicts, which have to
be resolved manually.

Most of the time the resolve involves joining the bufferA and bufferB
into the bufferC. For the moment what I do is, that I use 'a' or 'b'
keystroke to make one of those buffers copied into bufferC, and _then
manually_ copy the content of the other buffer into the bufferC.

Is there any way how in ediff join the differences of each buffer wrt
ancestor and apply those on bufferC?

many thanks
david

* Re: ediff to combine A and B
@ 2015-01-16 15:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-01-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there any way how in ediff join the differences of each buffer wrt
> ancestor and apply those on bufferC?

I don't use ediff for that.  Instead I arrange for the conflict to
appear as diff3 markers, so I can use smerge-mode where I can do things
like smerge-keep-all.

* RE: ediff to combine A and B
@ 2015-01-16 16:27 ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-01-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'David Belohrad', help-gnu-emacs

See: ediff3
This should do the job for you.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.