all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Preventing toggling off minor modes in nxhtml mumamo chunks
@ 2008-08-14  8:06 Niels Geuts
From: Niels Geuts @ 2008-08-14  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello group,

I want to use several minor modes in several nxhtml mumamo chunks, but the
minor modes are toggled off in those chunks. What can I do to prevent that?

For instance:

I want to use linum-mode in nxhtml mumamo mode. I added the following line
to my .emacs:

(add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'linum-mode)

This adds line numbers to xhtml code, but when I move the cursor to a
PHP-chunk, the line numbers disappear and the following message is
displayed:

"Toggling linum-mode off; better pass an explicit argument."

What can I do to prevent this toggling off?

I use Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on a Windows xp Professional SP 2
system

Many thanks,

Niels

* Re: Preventing toggling off minor modes in nxhtml mumamo chunks
@ 2008-08-15  0:12 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-15  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Geuts; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Niels Geuts wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I want to use several minor modes in several nxhtml mumamo chunks, but the
> minor modes are toggled off in those chunks. What can I do to prevent that?
>
> For instance:
>
> I want to use linum-mode in nxhtml mumamo mode. I added the following line
> to my .emacs:
>
> (add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'linum-mode)
>
> This adds line numbers to xhtml code, but when I move the cursor to a
> PHP-chunk, the line numbers disappear and the following message is
> displayed:
>
> "Toggling linum-mode off; better pass an explicit argument."
>
> What can I do to prevent this toggling off?

Look in mumamo.el. There is a comment for "Minor Mode Authors".

* Re: Preventing toggling off minor modes in nxhtml mumamo chunks
@ 2008-08-16  5:01   ` Niels Geuts
From: Niels Geuts @ 2008-08-16  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Niels Geuts wrote:

>> I want to use several minor modes in several nxhtml mumamo chunks, but
>> the
>> minor modes are toggled off in those chunks. What can I do to prevent
>> that?

<SNIP>

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> Look in mumamo.el. There is a comment for "Minor Mode Authors".

mumamo.el:

;;
;; * For functions entered to local hooks use this
;;
;;     (put 'FUNSYM 'permanent-local-hook t)
;;     (add-hook 'HOOKSYM 'FUNSYM nil t)
;;
;;   where HOOKSYM is the hook and FUNSYM is the function.

This did not do the job:

(put 'linum-mode 'permanent-local-hook t)
(add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'linum-mode nil t)

But this did:

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-mode 'auto-fill-function)

However, this solution did not work for longlines-mode, which I use as well.
I now use the following less satisfying solution:

(add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'longlines-mode)
(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'longlines-mode)

I don't understand the difference in behaviour these two minor-modes
exhibit, but with no doubt this will be due to my limited understanding of
Emacs. Any comments would be welcomed.

@ 2008-08-16  5:05     ` Niels Geuts
From: Niels Geuts @ 2008-08-16  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Niels Geuts wrote:

>But this did:
>
>(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-mode 'auto-fill-function)

Correction. This should be:

@ 2009-03-10  2:32       ` Head
From: Head @ 2009-03-10  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 15 2008, 10:05 pm, Niels Geuts <nielsgeurtsli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Niels Geuts wrote:
> >But this did:
>
> >(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-mode 'auto-fill-function)
>
> Correction. This should be:
>
> (add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-mode)

That didn't work for me (I think linum-mode toggles the mode) but this did:

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-on)

Now if I could only figure out how to have it not lose the font-colors when
going from Ruby mode to nXhtml mode... hmmm.