all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-27  8:48 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Emacs 23 is in feature-freeze, right?  Or was it lifted?

(And while at that: what are the current estimations of Emacs 23
release date or the beginning of its pretest cycle?)

I see new features being committed to the trunk and plans of extending
these features being discussed, so I thought I'd ask: is it okay to
add new features at this time, and if so, which features can be added?

For example, I have a working version of getloadavg for MS-Windows,
which would allow "M-x display-time" to show the load in the mode line
when Emacs runs on Windows.  Is it okay to commit changes to do that
now?

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-27 12:25 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-09-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Emacs 23 is in feature-freeze, right?

Yes.

> Or was it lifted?

No.

> (And while at that: what are the current estimations of Emacs 23
> release date or the beginning of its pretest cycle?)

Waiting for the number of open bugs to come down.  I've been overwhelmed
for the last couple months, so I haven't been able to help much on that
front, sadly.  I'm hoping to being the prestest around December/January.

> I see new features being committed to the trunk and plans of extending
> these features being discussed, so I thought I'd ask: is it okay to
> add new features at this time, and if so, which features can be added?

Other than the `daemon' mode, which features have been added recently?
I have no intention to extend the daemon mode before the release.

> For example, I have a working version of getloadavg for MS-Windows,
> which would allow "M-x display-time" to show the load in the mode line
> when Emacs runs on Windows.  Is it okay to commit changes to do
> that now?

I'd prefer to wait for that.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-27 14:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:25:44 -0400
>
> > For example, I have a working version of getloadavg for MS-Windows,
> > which would allow "M-x display-time" to show the load in the mode line
> > when Emacs runs on Windows.  Is it okay to commit changes to do
> > that now?
>
> I'd prefer to wait for that.

You mean, wait for after the release of 23.1?

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-27 19:50   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-09-27 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>> (And while at that: what are the current estimations of Emacs 23
>> release date or the beginning of its pretest cycle?)
>
> Waiting for the number of open bugs to come down.  I've been overwhelmed
> for the last couple months, so I haven't been able to help much on that
> front, sadly.  I'm hoping to being the pretest around December/January.

Yes, December is a good date to aim for.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-27 23:27   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-09-27 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

 > > For example, I have a working version of getloadavg for MS-Windows,
 > > which would allow "M-x display-time" to show the load in the mode line
 > > when Emacs runs on Windows.  Is it okay to commit changes to do
 > > that now?
 >
 > I'd prefer to wait for that.

There are so many major things that need fixing for 23.1, that I think it's
counterproductive to put a freeze on minor features now, like the one Eli is
suggesting.  A total freeze only seems appropriate when bugs are being actively
fixed, and I don't see that now.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-28  3:03     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-09-28  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> There are so many major things that need fixing for 23.1, that I think
> it's counterproductive to put a freeze on minor features now, like the
> one Eli is suggesting.  A total freeze only seems appropriate when
> bugs are being actively fixed, and I don't see that now.

Bugs are being actively fixed.  Not as quickly as I would like, since we
don't have enough people working on it, but we are very much in the bug
reduction phase.  More help is always welcome: just go to the list at
emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-28  3:25       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-28  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:03:07 -0400
>
> Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:
>
> > There are so many major things that need fixing for 23.1, that I think
> > it's counterproductive to put a freeze on minor features now, like the
> > one Eli is suggesting.  A total freeze only seems appropriate when
> > bugs are being actively fixed, and I don't see that now.
>
> Bugs are being actively fixed.  Not as quickly as I would like, since we
> don't have enough people working on it, but we are very much in the bug
> reduction phase.

Is FOR-RELEASE supposed to be the definitive list of things to be
fixed before the release, or are there some alternative methods
available now that we use a bug tracker?

If it's still FOR-RELEASE, then several problems people were
complaining about are not even there.  For example, the slow redisplay
with the font back-ends, and the problems with non-ASCII characters on
TTYs.  I don't think we can release Emacs with these two problems.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-28  5:13         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-09-28  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Is FOR-RELEASE supposed to be the definitive list of things to be
> fixed before the release, or are there some alternative methods
> available now that we use a bug tracker?

The items in FOR-RELEASE are not indicative of anything right now, so
please ignore them.  I am relying on the bug tracker, specifically the
bug count as an indicator of how close we are to the pretest.

When we get closer to the pretest, we'll probably begin tagging some
bugs as high severity in the bug tracker, to indicate that they have to
be solved for the release.  But for now, everyone should just try to fix
whatever they can see in the bug tracker.

* Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
@ 2008-09-28  7:22       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-09-28  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

 >                          ...A total freeze only seems appropriate when
 > > bugs are being actively fixed, and I don't see that now.
 >
 > Bugs are being actively fixed.  Not as quickly as I would like, since we
 > don't have enough people working on it, but we are very much in the bug
 > reduction phase.  More help is always welcome: just go to the list at
 > emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.

OK, in that case I'll post those that I've reported in the past on emacs-devel,
and that haven't been fixed, to emacsbugs.