all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cscope on windows
@ 2009-03-27 14:31 minesh varmas
From: minesh varmas @ 2009-03-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i installed cscope in windows xp using cygwin.
in emacs i get the cscope menu, but when i try to build the index file i get this error
"apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, cscope-indexer"

i put the cscope-indexer script in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\bin" and the cscope binary is located in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\local\bin"

how can i get cscope to work in emacs on windows?

many thanks.

* Re: cscope on windows
       [not found] <mailman.4095.1238164307.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-27 14:51 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2009-03-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    minesh> i installed cscope in windows xp using cygwin.  in emacs i get the
    minesh> cscope menu, but when i try to build the index file i get this
    minesh> error "apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory,
    minesh> cscope-indexer"

    minesh> i put the cscope-indexer script in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\bin" and the
    minesh> cscope binary is located in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\local\bin"

    minesh> how can i get cscope to work in emacs on windows?

    minesh> many thanks.

Hi,

its been a long time since I used Cygwin and Emacs together on Windoze, but my
guess is that Emacs defaults to using the cmd.exe coming with Windoze instead
of cygwins bash(.exe) shell.

The Windoze PATH Variable doesn't include the cygwin directories and so the
cscope binary and indexer script can't be found. (why rhcygwin? Is this the
default?)

Try adding

(setq explicit-shell-file-name "bash.exe")
;; For subprocesses invoked via the shell
;; (e.g., "shell -c command")
(setq shell-file-name explicit-shell-file-name)

to your Emacs configuration file to use bash instead of cmd.exe.

Hope this helps.

Toto

--
"No amount of googling and copying and pasting can replace the
intellectual flexibility developed by reading whole books."

* Re: cscope on windows
@ 2009-03-27 20:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-03-27 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

minesh varmas wrote:
> i installed cscope in windows xp using cygwin.
> in emacs i get the cscope menu, but when i try to build the index file i get this error
> "apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, cscope-indexer"
>
> i put the cscope-indexer script in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\bin" and the cscope binary is located in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\local\bin"
>
> how can i get cscope to work in emacs on windows?

C-h v exec-path

and M-: (info "(emacs)General Variables")

`PATH'
      A colon-separated list of directories in which executables reside.
      This is used to initialize the Emacs Lisp variable `exec-path'.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: cscope on windows
@ 2009-03-30  5:53 minesh varmas
From: minesh varmas @ 2009-03-30  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 thank you people for your suggestions , but i haven't yet been able to get it to work.

i set the path for cscope in the windows path variable. in addition to that,  I have the below lines in my _emacs file.

(setenv "PATH" (concat "C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
(setq exec-path (cons "C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" exec-path))

(setq explicit-shell-file-name "bash.exe")
;; For subprocesses invoked via the shell
;; (e.g., "shell -c command")
(setq shell-file-name explicit-shell-file-name)

now, the shell in emacs is the bash shell. but when i try to build the index file using cscope, it still cannot find it.

i did C-h v exec-path and got this,

exec-path is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
("C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "c:/WINDOWS/system32" "C:/WINDOWS" "C:/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem" "C:/Program Files/ZipGenius 6/" "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_12/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/bin" "c:/emacs-22.3/bin")

the name 'rhycgwin' is because it installed the cygwin from redhat.

* Re: cscope on windows
@ 2009-03-30 18:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: minesh varmas <mineshvarmas@yahoo.com>
>
> i did C-h v exec-path and got this,
>
> exec-path is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> Its value is
> ("C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/bin;C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "c:/WINDOWS/system32" "C:/WINDOWS" "C:/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem" "C:/Program Files/ZipGenius 6/" "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_12/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/usr/local/bin" "C:/rhcygwin/bin" "c:/emacs-22.3/bin")

Does the fact that the first and the second elements of this list are
two directories with a semi-colon between them, instead of a single
directory, give you a hint about what went wrong?

@ 2017-08-29  7:48 ` vcgato29
From: vcgato29 @ 2017-08-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, March 27, 2009 at 7:31:40 AM UTC-7, minesh varmas wrote:
> i installed cscope in windows xp using cygwin.
> in emacs i get the cscope menu, but when i try to build the index file i get this error
> "apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, cscope-indexer"
>
> i put the cscope-indexer script in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\bin" and the cscope binary is located in "C:\rhcygwin\usr\local\bin"
>
> how can i get cscope to work in emacs on windows?
>
> many thanks.

I agree can you point me to a few good books. Thats all I do all day is read