all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs/Web-Browser Integration was :gnome/emacs integration
@ 2008-07-28 13:27 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-07-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Talking of Gnome/Emacs integration, I still have fond memories of
the window manager sawfish that came with a lisp repl to control
it.

It would definitely be nice to talk to GTK through an elisp/guile
layer. But even more importantly, one aspect of Emacs that has
sadly fallen behind significantly is emacs' ability to
communicate with the Web. Ideally, we would have some kind of
Emacs binding to Webkit as a rendering engine that was completely
controllable from Elisp --- any takers?

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Emacs/Web-Browser Integration was :gnome/emacs integration
@ 2008-07-28 14:28 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-07-28 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:27:13 -0700 T. V. Raman wrote:

> It would definitely be nice to talk to GTK through an elisp/guile
> layer. But even more importantly, one aspect of Emacs that has
> sadly fallen behind significantly is emacs' ability to
> communicate with the Web. Ideally, we would have some kind of
> Emacs binding to Webkit as a rendering engine that was completely
> controllable from Elisp --- any takers?

The GTK port doesn't offer much control over the webkit widget.  If you
want to do really cool stuff you would need to have some DOM bindings in
Elisp.

AFAIK the GTK folks are working on bindings for GObject.  One could try
to use this as a base for elisp bindings.  But I would think it's far
more efficient (runtime and devel time) and more fun to just stick with
JS.  But if you do that you can just write a stand alone app in the
first place...  Just my 2 ¢.

David

* Re: Emacs/Web-Browser Integration was :gnome/emacs integration
@ 2008-07-29  3:51   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-07-29  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.hansen; +Cc: emacs-devel

The js integration bit I've already done using mozrepl with
firefox -- search for Firebox on google.

I'd really like to have WebMacs == WebKit +Emacs --- and direct
Elisp bindings to the WebKit DOM.