all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GDB "print" to echo area
@ 2008-07-18  0:24 Juanma
From: Juanma @ 2008-07-18  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Is there a configurable way to make GDB's 'print' command send output to the
echo area, instead or in addition to the *gdb* window?

If the answer is 'no', can I define a GDB command that would do that?

Or the only way is hacking GUD's code?

Thanks.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr

* Re: GDB "print" to echo area
@ 2008-07-18  1:37 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-07-18  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Is there a configurable way to make GDB's 'print' command send output to the
 > echo area, instead or in addition to the *gdb* window?

No.

 > If the answer is 'no', can I define a GDB command that would do that?

No.  The output to all GDB commands typed in the GUD buffer goes to the GUD
buffer.  Emacs doesn't know what they do, it just provides the terminal/pipe.

 > Or the only way is hacking GUD's code?

You could write a lisp function that uses gdb-enqueue-input and a handler
but I'm not sure that it's worth it.  I find the GUD buffer a convenient
place to have a log of the debug session.