all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-19  0:59 winuser
From: winuser @ 2007-12-19  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'm sure there's a simple explanation. All the Googling I did failed to turn
up anything usefull.
I'm using Win XP Media ona Athlon X2 box
Below is contents of the Message buffer
Marking matching files...
238 matching files marked.
Directory contains more than 50 image files.  Proceed? (y or n)
Cancelled.
Type C-c C-c to view as an image.
Repeat this command to go back to displaying the file as text
Quit
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-19  2:06 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-19  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: winuser; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

 > I'm sure there's a simple explanation. All the Googling I did failed to turn
 > up anything usefull.
 > I'm using Win XP Media ona Athlon X2 box
 > Below is contents of the Message buffer
 > Marking matching files...
 > 238 matching files marked.
 > Directory contains more than 50 image files.  Proceed? (y or n)
 > Cancelled.
 > Type C-c C-c to view as an image.
 > Repeat this command to go back to displaying the file as text
 > Quit
 > GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

For an explanation you need to ask a question first.  It looks like you
started with image-dired, cancelled it, visited an image file (maybe xpm)
that displayed as text and didn't do C-c C-c to to view it as an image.

Now what is your question?

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-19 15:11   ` winuser
From: winuser @ 2007-12-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your patience
my question is this :
when I visit a file in image-dired, should i get an image on screen ?
I saw the file as text and the minibuffer came back with this :

 > Repeat this command to go back to displaying the file as text

Do I have to use an external program to view a picture ?

PS not sure what is (XPM)

@ 2007-12-19 15:38     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: winuser; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.12.2007 um 16:11 schrieb winuser:

> Do I have to use an external program to view a picture ?

I don't know what image-dired is, but there is a variable, image-
types, that describes which graphics formats are supported by GNU
Emacs. For me they are:

	(svg png gif tiff jpeg xpm postscript xbm pbm)

If you don't see the picture, then C-c C-c will toggle the
presentation mode ...

And there is doc-view to display a few more out of the TeX and PS
families.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
				– Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
       [not found] <mailman.5189.1198025951.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-19 17:05 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-12-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

winuser <winuser@intermonde.net> writes:

> I'm sure there's a simple explanation. All the Googling I did failed to turn
> up anything usefull.
> I'm using Win XP Media ona Athlon X2 box
> Below is contents of the Message buffer
> Marking matching files...
> 238 matching files marked.
> Directory contains more than 50 image files.  Proceed? (y or n)
> Cancelled.
> Type C-c C-c to view as an image.
> Repeat this command to go back to displaying the file as text
> Quit
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

As someone else pointed out, you canceled image-dired. If you had
answered `y' you might have seen a buffer with thumbnails. I say
`might' because image-dired requires the external tool `convert' to
work, and you run Windows XP where this is not installed by
default. However, you can easily download it, `convert' is part of the
ImageMagick package. After installing it you need to make sure that
convert.exe is in your PATH or you need to configure image-dired and
point out where the file is.

Good luck!

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-19 20:47   ` winuser
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5251.1198106666.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: winuser @ 2007-12-19 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks
I am slowly learning but getting there.
The use of external programs could stand some more documentation.

@ 2007-12-19 21:15     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-19 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: winuser; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

 > when I visit a file in image-dired, should i get an image on screen ?

Mathias Dahl has anwered this question.

 > I saw the file as text and the minibuffer came back with this :
 >
 >  > Repeat this command to go back to displaying the file as text
 >
 > Do I have to use an external program to view a picture ?

I think at that point you weren't using image-dired.  To view just one image
like this I think you just need Emacs to be compiled with the appropriate image
libraries.  Before the above line it said:

             Type C-c C-c to view as an image.

What happens if you do that (CTRL-C CTRL-C)?

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-19 23:03     ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5251.1198106666.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-19 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: winuser; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

 > I am slowly learning but getting there.
 > The use of external programs could stand some more documentation.

I agree.  Presumably many systems don't have ImageMagick installed and the
message:

         Thumb could not be created for file...

isn't very self explanatory.

@ 2007-12-20 15:47       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-12-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> I agree.  Presumably many systems don't have ImageMagick installed and the
> message:
>
>          Thumb could not be created for file...
>
> isn't very self explanatory.

I know, I know, I know... Feel free to send a patch to emacs devel :)

/Mathias

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-20 21:41         ` winuser
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5279.1198186888.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: winuser @ 2007-12-20 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

In my next life, I will certainly be a programming whiz. I promise.
But as of this moment I am still not getting any pictures as images in any
kind of Emacs buffer even image-dired buffers are empty.
Maybe this *Message* buffer will give a hint as to what is happening :
("C:\\MC\\AppsIUse\\emacs-22.1\\bin\\emacs.exe")
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Marking matching files...
5 matching files marked.
image-dired-thumbnail-mode enabled

Also I have included a pretty print of the PATH on my machine :
PATH=
c:\program files\imagemagick-6.3.7-q16;
C:\WINDOWS\system32;
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\;
C:\DJGPP\BIN;
c:\mc\mccdir;
"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier";
C:\WINDOWS;

@ 2007-12-20 22:01           ` Mathias Dahl
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5286.1198208612.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-12-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Marking matching files...
> 5 matching files marked.
> image-dired-thumbnail-mode enabled

Looks OK so far.

> Also I have included a pretty print of the PATH on my machine :
> PATH=
> c:\program files\imagemagick-6.3.7-q16;

Is that dir where the convert.exe file is? If so it should be OK too.
Can you see if there are any new thumbnail images in ~/.emacs.d/image-
dired? If there are, what is missing is probably image libraries that
Emacs needs. I don't remember where to get them right now, but I'm
sure someone else does.

/Mathias

@ 2007-12-21  1:40         ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5287.1198227357.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > >          Thumb could not be created for file...
 > >
 > > isn't very self explanatory.
 >
 > I know, I know, I know... Feel free to send a patch to emacs devel :)

Instead of:

  (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch command)

why not separate the command and switches and use:

  (call-process command nil nil nil command-switches)

That way you'll get an error like:

Searching for program: no such file or directory, convert

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-21  3:43             ` winuser
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5286.1198208612.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: winuser @ 2007-12-21  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-12-21  4:24               ` nullius.filius
From: nullius.filius @ 2007-12-21  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

winuser wrote:
> Mathias Dahl-3 wrote:

> > Not sure what image libraries are but if you mean image-mode.elc and
> > image-dired.elc, the're in my /Lisp directory.

Yo Winuser,

Here's the dl on dlls. You need the sweet double hipness of
giflib4.dll,
jpeg62.dll,  libpng13.dll and even some others to put the glorious
images
of love on emacs. Mathias is hippin' you are missin' some of dem dlls.

Yeah-heh. And your current emacs don' come on so cool and so groovy
and
so with-it.

Let me hip you to something.

http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

is the coolest, grooviest, swingin'est, wailin'est, strumminest,
swingin'est
emacs that ever stomped on this jumpin' green sphere.

I bet dat emacs gon' get you straight.

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-21  8:55           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5287.1198227357.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-21  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:40:45 +1300
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Instead of:
>
>   (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch command)
>
> why not separate the command and switches and use:
>
>   (call-process command nil nil nil command-switches)

These two methods are not exactly equivalent: in the first, `command'
can be something understood and interpreted by a shell, including
pipes, redirections, etc.  In the seconds, it must be a name of an
executable program file.

But I have no idea whether this difference is of any importance for
the case in point.

@ 2007-12-21 15:27             ` Mathias Dahl
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5313.1198272679.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-12-21 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Instead of:
>>
>>   (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch command)
>>
>> why not separate the command and switches and use:
>>
>>   (call-process command nil nil nil command-switches)
>
> These two methods are not exactly equivalent: in the first, `command'
> can be something understood and interpreted by a shell, including
> pipes, redirections, etc.  In the seconds, it must be a name of an
> executable program file.
>
> But I have no idea whether this difference is of any importance for
> the case in point.

Good points. And, again, patches are welcome.

If I get the time I might do something about this over the
holidays. It's largely a matter of how much it itches however...

/Mathias

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-21 21:13               ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5313.1198272679.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-21 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > These two methods are not exactly equivalent: in the first, `command'
 > > can be something understood and interpreted by a shell, including
 > > pipes, redirections, etc.  In the seconds, it must be a name of an
 > > executable program file.
 > >
 > > But I have no idea whether this difference is of any importance for
 > > the case in point.
 >
 > Good points. And, again, patches are welcome.

I'm unlikely to contribute such a patch because, as Eli points out, it may
not work for all uses of call-process in image-dired-create-thumb, and
I don't have the level of understanding needed to make such a judgement.

 > If I get the time I might do something about this over the
 > holidays. It's largely a matter of how much it itches however...

If you are not interested, it might be a good idea to specify the FSF as the
maintainer of this file.

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-27 23:16   ` Allan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5445.1198802776.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan @ 2007-12-27 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> As someone else pointed out, you canceled image-dired. If you had
> answered `y' you might have seen a buffer with thumbnails. I say
> `might' because image-dired requires the external tool `convert' to
> work, and you run Windows XP where this is not installed by
> default. However, you can easily download it, `convert' is part of the
> ImageMagick package. After installing it you need to make sure that
> convert.exe is in your PATH or you need to configure image-dired and
> point out where the file is.
>
> Good luck!
I installed ImageMagick 6.3.7 and configured it with the image-dired customization window along with the thumbs customization window but still cannot display thumbnails. I always get the error message "could not create thumb for ....". There may be something else missing in the image-dired configuration besides what you mention here. I have put the full path name of ImageDirect-6.3.7-Q8 for the image-dired thumb creation programs.

--
Allan

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-28  0:45     ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5445.1198802776.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-28  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I installed ImageMagick 6.3.7 and configured it with the image-dired
 > customization window along with the thumbs customization window but still
 > cannot display thumbnails. I always get the error message "could not create
 > thumb for ....". There may be something else missing in the image-dired
 > configuration besides what you mention here. I have put the full path name
 > of ImageDirect-6.3.7-Q8 for the image-dired thumb creation programs.

You don't say what system you are using (M-x emacs-version, or better still use
M-x report-emacs-bug) but there are two thumbnail modes in Emacs that use the
convert program from ImageMagick.  The other is thumbs.el.  What happens in
Dired if you mark several image files and do thumbs-dired-show-marked?

@ 2007-12-28  6:28       ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2007-12-28  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > I installed ImageMagick 6.3.7 and configured it with the image-dired
>  > customization window along with the thumbs customization window but still
>  > cannot display thumbnails. I always get the error message "could not create
>  > thumb for ....". There may be something else missing in the image-dired
>  > configuration besides what you mention here. I have put the full path name
>  > of ImageDirect-6.3.7-Q8 for the image-dired thumb creation programs.
>
> You don't say what system you are using (M-x emacs-version, or better still use
> M-x report-emacs-bug) but there are two thumbnail modes in Emacs that use the
> convert program from ImageMagick.  The other is thumbs.el.  What happens in
> Dired if you mark several image files and do thumbs-dired-show-marked?
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob
I am using Emacs 22.1 on Windows XP like the OP. When I type M-x thumbs-dired-show-marked I just get empty squares displayed four rows wide. I marked six images and I got one row of four squares and a second row of two squares, all blank. I have tried M-x thumbs before and got similar results (namely, a block of sixteen empty boxes). I have also added the ImageMagick directory to the exec-path variable via a customization window, but unfortunately it did not help.
Thanks for your attention.

--
Allan

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-28  7:59         ` nullius.filius
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5449.1198829754.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nullius.filius @ 2007-12-28  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My version of  22.1, which came bundled with auctex, was missing the
jpeg library. Can you display normal pictures? What happens when you
open a jpeg file in emacs? If you are not displaying jpeg files would
you
check to make sure you have  jpeg62.dll?

@ 2007-12-28  8:15         ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5449.1198829754.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-28  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I am using Emacs 22.1 on Windows XP like the OP. When I type M-x
 > thumbs-dired-show-marked I just get empty squares displayed four rows
 > wide. I marked six images and I got one row of four squares and a second row
 > of two squares, all blank. I have tried M-x thumbs before and got similar
 > results (namely, a block of sixteen empty boxes). I have also added the
 > ImageMagick directory to the exec-path variable via a customization window,
 > but unfortunately it did not help.

I've checked the change below into CVS.  If Emacs can't find convert it should
now say so with this patch.  Can you please try to apply it and then post what
Emacs says to the mailing list.

*** thumbs.el.~1.35.~	2007-07-27 09:22:25.000000000 +1200
--- thumbs.el	2007-12-28 21:01:18.000000000 +1300
*************** ARG any arguments to the ACTION command,
*** 248,262 ****
  OUTPUT-FORMAT is the file format to output (default is jpeg),
  ACTION-PREFIX is the symbol to place before the ACTION command
                (defaults to '-' but can sometimes be '+')."
!   (let ((command (format "%s %s%s %s \"%s\" \"%s:%s\""
! 			 thumbs-conversion-program
! 			 (or action-prefix "-")
! 			 action
! 			 (or arg "")
! 			 filein
! 			 (or output-format "jpeg")
! 			 fileout)))
!     (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch command)))

  (defun thumbs-new-image-size (s increment)
    "New image (a cons of width x height)."
--- 248,259 ----
  OUTPUT-FORMAT is the file format to output (default is jpeg),
  ACTION-PREFIX is the symbol to place before the ACTION command
                (defaults to '-' but can sometimes be '+')."
!   (call-process thumbs-conversion-program nil nil nil
! 		(or action-prefix "-")
! 		action
! 		(or arg "")
! 		filein
! 		(format "%s:%s"	(or output-format "jpeg") fileout)))

@ 2007-12-29  3:31           ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2007-12-29  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have no problems displaying the images inside Emacs, only creating thumbnails with image-dired or thumbs display mode. I found out that there are two "convert" programs on Windows XP, one for the DOS-style command window and the other the ImageMagick utility. I am wondering if that might have something to do with this issue.

--
Allan

@ 2007-12-29  3:43           ` Allan
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5507.1198973294.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan @ 2007-12-29  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> I've checked the change below into CVS.  If Emacs can't find convert it should
> now say so with this patch.  Can you please try to apply it and then post what
> Emacs says to the mailing list.
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob
>

> *** thumbs.el.~1.35.~	2007-07-27 09:22:25.000000000 +1200
> --- thumbs.el	2007-12-28 21:01:18.000000000 +1300
> *************** ARG any arguments to the ACTION command,
> *** 248,262 ****
>   OUTPUT-FORMAT is the file format to output (default is jpeg),
>   ACTION-PREFIX is the symbol to place before the ACTION command
>                 (defaults to '-' but can sometimes be '+')."
> !   (let ((command (format "%s %s%s %s \"%s\" \"%s:%s\""
> ! 			 thumbs-conversion-program
> ! 			 (or action-prefix "-")
> ! 			 action
> ! 			 (or arg "")
> ! 			 filein
> ! 			 (or output-format "jpeg")
> ! 			 fileout)))
> !     (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch command)))
>
>   (defun thumbs-new-image-size (s increment)
>     "New image (a cons of width x height)."
> --- 248,259 ----
>   OUTPUT-FORMAT is the file format to output (default is jpeg),
>   ACTION-PREFIX is the symbol to place before the ACTION command
>                 (defaults to '-' but can sometimes be '+')."
> !   (call-process thumbs-conversion-program nil nil nil
> ! 		(or action-prefix "-")
> ! 		action
> ! 		(or arg "")
> ! 		filein
> ! 		(format "%s:%s"	(or output-format "jpeg") fileout)))
>
>   (defun thumbs-new-image-size (s increment)
>     "New image (a cons of width x height)."
I will try to apply the patch, but in the meantime I may have discovered some pertinent information. On Windows XP there is a DOS-style command called "convert" which can be accessed inside a command-prompt window. I wonder if there could be a conflict or confusion with this module?
  c:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32:
  total used in directory 495476 available 13243296
  -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           333 2001-09-12  $ncsp$.inf
  -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           860 2002-01-27  $winnt$.inf
  drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 07:32 .
  drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 14:25 ..
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root         13824 2001-08-18  convert.exe
The way I found this out was that I tried the ImageMagick test in a command window : "convert logo: logo.gif" and got an error instead. When I navigated to the ImageMagick install directory using a DOS-style "cd" command it worked. If you append the ImageMagick directory to the end of the "PATH" environment variable the MS Windows "convert.exe" will be found first.

--
Allan

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-29 23:35             ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5507.1198973294.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-29 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noreply; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I will try to apply the patch, but in the meantime I may have discovered
 > some pertinent information. On Windows XP there is a DOS-style command
 > called "convert" which can be accessed inside a command-prompt window. I
 > wonder if there could be a conflict or confusion with this module?

No nned to apply the patch as you have found the problem.  It looks like
c:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/convert.exe is an NTFS partitioning program on XP only.

 >   c:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32:
 >   total used in directory 495476 available 13243296
 >   -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           333 2001-09-12  $ncsp$.inf
 >   -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           860 2002-01-27  $winnt$.inf
 >   drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 07:32 .
 >   drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 14:25 ..
 >   -rwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root         13824 2001-08-18  convert.exe

 > The way I found this out was that I tried the ImageMagick test in a command
 > window : "convert logo: logo.gif" and got an error instead. When I navigated
 > to the ImageMagick install directory using a DOS-style "cd" command it
 > worked. If you append the ImageMagick directory to the end of the "PATH"
 > environment variable the MS Windows "convert.exe" will be found first.

Unfortunately Emacs won't know where your convert program in ImageMagick
resides but you can get round it without changing PATH by customising
thumbs-conversion-program (and image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program) to be
the absolute filename.

@ 2007-12-30  2:46               ` Allan
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.5508.1198990422.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan @ 2007-12-30  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > I will try to apply the patch, but in the meantime I may have discovered
>  > some pertinent information. On Windows XP there is a DOS-style command
>  > called "convert" which can be accessed inside a command-prompt window. I
>  > wonder if there could be a conflict or confusion with this module?
>
> No nned to apply the patch as you have found the problem.  It looks like
> c:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/convert.exe is an NTFS partitioning program on XP only.
>
>  >   c:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32:
>  >   total used in directory 495476 available 13243296
>  >   -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           333 2001-09-12  $ncsp$.inf
>  >   -rw-rw-rw-   1 XXXXXXX   root           860 2002-01-27  $winnt$.inf
>  >   drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 07:32 .
>  >   drwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root             0 12-28 14:25 ..
>  > ....
>  >   -rwxrwxrwx   1 XXXXXXX   root         13824 2001-08-18  convert.exe
>  > ....
>
>  > The way I found this out was that I tried the ImageMagick test in a command
>  > window : "convert logo: logo.gif" and got an error instead. When I navigated
>  > to the ImageMagick install directory using a DOS-style "cd" command it
>  > worked. If you append the ImageMagick directory to the end of the "PATH"
>  > environment variable the MS Windows "convert.exe" will be found first.
>
> Unfortunately Emacs won't know where your convert program in ImageMagick
> resides but you can get round it without changing PATH by customising
> thumbs-conversion-program (and image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program) to be
> the absolute filename.
>
> --
> Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob
The very good news is that I have got it to work by changing "path" to have ImageMagick as the first member of the list and by changing the values you mention to the default "convert" or "convert.exe". I finally have the thumbnails displaying in a seperate window (!) The only function that I don't understand is "image-dired-dired-display-external" - display in external viewer, which does not seem to do anything when I select a thumbnail before invoking it. I think that this workaround/solution might have helped the OP possibly as well if he is still reading this thread. The other advantage of changing "PATH" is that in a command prompt window the ImageMagick command line "convert" program works as it should.
Thanks again,

--
Allan

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
@ 2007-12-30  4:53                 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.5508.1198990422.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-30  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > The very good news is that I have got it to work by changing "path" to have
 > ImageMagick as the first member of the list and by changing the values you
 > mention to the default "convert" or "convert.exe". I finally have the
 > thumbnails displaying in a seperate window (!) The only function that I
 > don't understand is "image-dired-dired-display-external" - display in
 > external viewer, which does not seem to do anything when I select a
 > thumbnail before invoking it. I think that this workaround/solution might
 > have helped the OP possibly as well if he is still reading this thread. The
 > other advantage of changing "PATH" is that in a command prompt window the
 > ImageMagick command line "convert" program works as it should.

I'm glad it works.  The disadvantage of putting ImageMagick first in your path
is that there may be another clash of filenames when you actually mean to use a
Windows program.

What value do you have for image-dired-external-viewer? I have
"/usr/bin/display" which evidently is another program from ImageMagick.
This means that using my approach of using the absolute filename would
require customising image-dired-external-viewer as well as
image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program, and there may be other programs too.
Perhaps an option image-dired-program-directory would be better.

* Re: image-dired shows images as text
       [not found]                   ` <uir2dok4e.fsf@earthlink.net>
@ 2008-01-01 20:49                     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-01-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > What value do you have for image-dired-external-viewer? I have
 > > "/usr/bin/display" which evidently is another program from ImageMagick.
 > > This means that using my approach of using the absolute filename would
 > > require customising image-dired-external-viewer as well as
 > > image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program, and there may be other programs
 > > too.  Perhaps an option image-dired-program-directory would be better.

 > The value it is returning is similar : (describe variable)...
 > image-dired-external-viewer is a variable defined in `image-dired.el'.  Its
 > value is "d:/Program Files/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-6.3.7-Q8/display.exe"
 >
 > But there is no conflict with Windows in this case.

As Emacs has found display.exe, I don't understand why
image-dired-dired-display-external does nothing in your case.  It works for me
(that is, displays my image in an externam viewer (presumably
"/usr/bin/display").

@ 2008-01-02 13:32                 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-01-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > If I get the time I might do something about this over the
>  > holidays. It's largely a matter of how much it itches however...
>
> If you are not interested, it might be a good idea to specify the FSF as the
> maintainer of this file.

That might actually not be a bad idea.  I never thought much about the
Maintainer keyword and if it has any relevance now that
Tumme/image-dired is part of Emacs.  Due to having some RSI-related
problems with my hands lately I tend to choose "fun" things over
fixing bugs, or semi-bugs like these.