all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
@ 2007-09-16 14:56 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hello!

I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
Q and issued

	M-x load-library RET vc RET

*Messages* added

Then I issued

	M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET

*Messages* added

Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the software. I
tried

	M-x vc-svn- TAB

and received the answer

	[No match\x18]

What am I doing wrong? Assuming that vc-svn.el is providing
interactive commands in the kind of cvs-up?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Globalisation -- communism from above.

* SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
@ 2007-09-16 17:54 ` Mathias Megyei
       [not found] ` <mailman.923.1189965292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Megyei @ 2007-09-16 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs list

Hi Peter,

Peter Dyballa writes:
 > Hello!
 >
 > I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
 > Q and issued
 >
 > 	M-x load-library RET vc RET
 >
 > *Messages* added

 > Then I issued
 >
 > 	M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET
 >
 > *Messages* added

 > Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the software. I
 > tried
 >
 > 	M-x vc-svn- TAB
 >
 > and received the answer
 >
 > 	[No match\x18]
 >
 > What am I doing wrong? Assuming that vc-svn.el is providing
 > interactive commands in the kind of cvs-up?

IIRC the cvs-* dosn't work in dired buffer (which is bad,
IMHO). Perhaps the same is true for the svn-* functions.

Try to open  a file under version control and start svn-*
functions in that buffer.

Regards,

Mathias

* Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
       [not found] ` <mailman.923.1189965292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-16 21:46   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]     ` <mailman.945.1190031581.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-16 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mathias Megyei <mathias@mnet-mail.de> writes:

> Peter Dyballa writes:
>  > Hello!
>  >
>  > I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
>  > Q and issued
>  >
>  > 	M-x load-library RET vc RET
>  >

Unnecessary.

>  > Then I issued
>  >
>  > 	M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET

Unnecessary.

>  > Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the software. I
>  > tried
>  >
>  > 	M-x vc-svn- TAB
>  >
>  > and received the answer
>  >
>  > 	[No match]
>  >
>  > What am I doing wrong? Assuming that vc-svn.el is providing
>  > interactive commands in the kind of cvs-up?
>
> IIRC the cvs-* dosn't work in dired buffer (which is bad,
> IMHO). Perhaps the same is true for the svn-* functions.
>
> Try to open  a file under version control and start svn-*
> functions in that buffer.

Huh? vc-svn does not contain user-accessible functions as far as I
know.  The whole point of VC is to hide the particular version control
system from the user and give a unique interface for version control.

Try opening a file in a Subversion work directory, and Emacs should
_know_ what version it corresponds to (see the mode line).  And try
C-x v C-h to get a list of VC commands.

@ 2007-09-16 21:57 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-09-16 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Peter> Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the
    Peter> software.  I tried

    Peter> 	M-x vc-svn- TAB

    Peter> and received the answer

    Peter> 	[No match]

    Peter> What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure, but I don't think vc-svn provides any features for
directories.  (Well, it does provide vc-dired, but I've found that too
slow to use.)

Instead, I use
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/emacs/psvn.el.

--
I hope to get back to work on Arc soon.
        -- Paul Graham, quoted in "ACM Crossroads", no date given

* Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
@ 2007-09-17 12:19     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.945.1190031581.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-17 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.09.2007 um 23:46 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Mathias Megyei writes:
>
>> Peter Dyballa writes:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs
>>> with -
>>> Q and issued
>>>
>>> 	M-x load-library RET vc RET
>>>

> Unnecessary.
>
>>> Then I issued
>>>
>>> 	M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET
>
> Unnecessary.

I wanted to make sure that this code was loaded. When I asked GNU
Emacs to complete vc-svn- function names it do not show a
"reasonable" set of them. And the load-library calls did not change
this situation either ... this got me puzzled and write the eMail.

> Try opening a file in a Subversion work directory, and Emacs should
> _know_ what version it corresponds to (see the mode line).  And try
> C-x v C-h to get a list of VC commands.

Yes, this leads a bit further! Thank you! Alas, some (most) of my
downloaded code does not receive updates!

For the SVN method vc-retrieve-snapshot brings a buffer *vc* with
this contents:

	svn: '' does not appear to be a URL

(Isn't this bad English? Shouldn't it be 'an URL'?) Svn-status-update-
cmd from psvn.el retrieves updates for six files.

In the case of the git method my CPU is glowing in red for half an
hour. No newer files can be found by find afterwards. When I then
invoke 'git pull' on the command line both network and CPU (and disk)
are doing their work for some lengthy period (more than an hour now –
OK, a 'make distclean' is done too!) and are updating the code of
X11R7 clients.

In the case of CVS (with GNU Emacs 23.0.50) vc-retrieve-snapshot
seems to work like cvs-up from pcvs.el. I should wait until some
conflict arises ...

So there is no substitute for pcvs.el and psvn.el now – why is the
family of vc-*.el files then autoloaded? Only because I am using the
non-productive and unstable GNU Emacsen 22.1.50 or 23.0.50 while
released GNU Emacs 22.1 would not? And the p(cvs|svn) Elisp libraries
have one more obvious advantage: they can run in parallel!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget
cuts.

* Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
       [not found] <mailman.921.1189954627.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-18  6:25 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-09-18  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello!
>
> I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
> Q and issued
>
> 	M-x load-library RET vc RET
>
> *Messages* added

> Then I issued
>
> 	M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET
>
> *Messages* added

> Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the software. I  tried
>
> 	M-x vc-svn- TAB
>
> and received the answer
>
> 	[No match]
>
> What am I doing wrong? Assuming that vc-svn.el is providing  interactive
> commands in the kind of cvs-up?

As I understand it, the vc- stuff is not really directory based (as in
CVS/Subversion) as it was originally developed for RCS style version
control systems, which are based on files and uses a locking
methodology. However, it has been extended and is capable of doing such
things, but in a rather unusual way because it has kept the same key
bindings (i.e. C-x v v etc). Persoanlly, I found this a little 'un-natural'
and have never felt comfortable with it, though it does appear to work fine
with svn.

I think that if you go into a svn directory and try to check out a file to
work on, it will automatically do an update if this is required (not jus
the file you are going to work on). This can be affected by customize
variables (in particular, the stay-local setting, which affects whether the
system will check remote repositories). Also, the supported backends
variable can have affect on how vc works.

I persoanlly prefer using the PCL-CVS interface with the psvn.el add-on as
it gives you a directory based interface rather than a file based one. When
in your working directory, an svn-status command opens a buffer showing
which files have been modified locally and which ones have been updated in
the repository. You can then use keys like U to do an update, c to commit,
a to add or A to add recursively etc. I find this fits better with my
mental model of how subversion works.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2007-09-19  3:03       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-19  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So there is no substitute for pcvs.el and psvn.el now – why is the family
> of vc-*.el files then autoloaded?

Why not?  It does provide useful functionality via
C-x v =, C-x v ~, C-x v l, and C-x v g
as well as information in the Modeline about the fact that the file is under
version control and which system is used.
These are very useful in my experience and completely orthogonal to what
pcvs or psvn provides (which I obviously find very useful as well).
Just don't expect VC to provide a full frontend (at least not yet).

* Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
@ 2007-09-20  3:29       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2007-09-20  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For the SVN method vc-retrieve-snapshot brings a buffer *vc* with
> this contents:
>
> 	svn: '' does not appear to be a URL
>
> (Isn't this bad English? Shouldn't it be 'an URL'?)

Since acronyms are pronounced letter by letter, the adjective matches
the spelling of the *sound* of the leading letter, in this case, "U"
is pronounced "YOU" which takes the "a". As another example, an
acronym that starts with M takes an "an" as the M is pronounced "EM".
Kompliziert vielleicht, aber nicht so als Deutsche Adjektiven ;-).

> So there is no substitute for pcvs.el and psvn.el now – why is the
> family of vc-*.el files then autoloaded?

As Stefan said, psvn and pcvs are orthogonal (meaning, they serve a
different purpose) to vc. Think of psvn and pcvs former like dired and
vc like the file operations (such as `C-x C-f' and `C-s').

Tchüß!

* Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
@ 2007-09-21  9:23         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.09.2007 um 05:03 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

>> So there is no substitute for pcvs.el and psvn.el now – why is the
>> family
>> of vc-*.el files then autoloaded?
>
> Why not?  It does provide useful functionality via
> C-x v =, C-x v ~, C-x v l, and C-x v g
> as well as information in the Modeline about the fact that the file
> is under
> version control and which system is used.
> These are very useful in my experience and completely orthogonal to
> what
> pcvs or psvn provides (which I obviously find very useful as well).
> Just don't expect VC to provide a full frontend (at least not yet).

Yes, you're right: VC is useful. And it also needs accompaniment by
pcvs.el and psvn.el to manage the downloaded source code.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                                          - Jeremy S. Anderson